Thread: Rabbits!

Default Rabbits!

Hello,

I live in an area with lots of rabbits around. This past summer I had some problems with these cute little critters running around eating the bottom 12" of the foliage growing in my garden. They'd just nibble away. I live in the city, but there is a tract of land behind my house that contains lots of rabbits. I have a black metal fence that runs around the yard, and I'm loathe to get a brick wall or anything of that sort. Is there anything I can do to deter the critters?

Thanks for your help!
    "Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better."
    Albert Einstein

harvestcube.com

Registered Users

Easy solutions are limited.

When I got my terrier I tried to terrier-proof the fence by stapling fine mesh to the bottom of the fence and digging that into the ground under the fence. The un-intended consequence of this is I have a rabbit proof yard. You'll have to use a 1" square mesh or smaller - rabbits will go right thru a cyclone fence.

The other options jumping to mind either involve getting a dog or are , I assume, less than legal in your area (even if they are tasty options).

Oh yeah, rabbits will eat hot peppers with no problem.

Thank you, Mr Yan. I'll definitely look into that. I was thinking of using some good ol' chicken wire, also.
    "Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better."
    Albert Einstein

harvestcube.com

Registered Users

Chicken wire is a 1 inch mesh. Use caution in the future as the fine gauge wire will start to rust out and break. That usually isn't a good enough reason not to use it.

New Users

Buy some habanero peppers. Throw em in the blender with some water. Strain out the solids so you're left with homemade pepper spray. This can be mixed with compost tea (don't put the compost tea in your blender obviously). Put your solution in a spray bottle and spray the foliage you want to protect. I'm sure once the bunnies or whatever is munching on your leaves will think twice after taking one nibble. HEHEHEHEHEH!!!!!
    Don't Grow up. Its a trap!!!

Registered Users

You could grow Lantana around the perimeter of your fence. Or you could try deer spray (a lot like the pepper spray GhettoGardner discussed, but also has putrified egg solids and sometimes garlic.) Or you could trap them and eat them! Connie stew, anyone?
    Charm Dreier

Please visit my blog!
    http://www.gardentraining.com