Thread: New Gardener

Default New Gardener

Hey all,

I've been growing a small vegetable garden in my backyard, but I've been thinking about planting some bell peppers next to my tomatoes. Would it be better to grow them in a pot indoors? Or would they be as delicious outdoors? I'm in sunny California- zone 10a.

Any suggestions? Thanks!
    "Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better."
    Albert Einstein

harvestcube.com

almost all plants go better outdoors. Especially plants that need to be pollinated.

Registered Users

I second outdoors. Peppers are mainly wind pollinated so if in a still area you will need to tap the flowers to pollinate them.

10a sounds like freezing won't be much of a problem but heat could. I have found that my tomatoes and peppers slow down when the temps are much above 95F.

I have peppers around my tomatoes but I also sneak them into my flower beds in the front yard. I like the look of random red tabasco peppers like candle flames among daisies and purplecone flowers.

Thanks guys for the advice. I've read that people have sown peppers from seeds taken from bell peppers bought at the store. Since we're heading into the cold season, I think I'll try growing them indoors first. I'm a real newbie when it comes to growing stuff, so I hope I can post some pictures of a SUCCESSFUL pepper garden!
    Albert Einstein

harvestcube.com

Registered Users

I collect and save seeds from the peppers I grow. This works no problem.

The only reason I would caution you on not starting from a bell pepper you pick up at a grocery store is chances are it was a hybrid plant. While there is nothing wrong with a hybrid plant they are not genetically stable and the traits of their offspring will vary greatly. For more on hybrids University of Illinois has a good artical to read (click here).

thank you so much mr. yan. reading it now.
    Albert Einstein

harvestcube.com

Registered Users

Not a problem j parson.

If you go out and buy a pack of seeds that pack could last you a life time by saving seeds. If you go out and buy an F1 hybrid I don't blame you, in fact I do it also each year. Either way pepper seeds will stay viable for 4 or 5 years if stored well so you can start a few plants this year and keep the rest for next year.

This year I grew six bell pepper plants and they yielded just shy of 11 lbs of peppers. Each of these peppers I would have been able to save seed from for next year. While I only saved seeds from two or three peppers this year I had more than enough to share seeds with several friends and neighbors. If you want to save seeds like this peppers are an easy choice.

Default New Gardener

hi everyone gradening was one of my hobbies.
    and makes me feel good whenever i saw me garden in our lawn.

banner printing
    color banner