Thread: blueberries need help!

Default blueberries need help!

10557441_10204279250522935_1237898543351622095_n.jpg

what is wrong with my blueberries? please help!!!

Registered Users

Hi Melissa, It is kind of hard to tell from that one picture since it is a bit blurry, but it looks as though they might have a fungal disease. I would spray them now with Rose Defense while they are still in leaf, and then again with Rose Defense after they drop their leaves for the fall, and then spray them with horticultural oil after you winter prune them. Are they in the ground or in pots? If they are in pots, transplant them with fresh soil. A lot of fungal diseases are soil-borne. If they are in the ground, compost them heavily-- two to three inches thick on the drip line of the plant-- but be sure not to pile up compost on the trunk (that could cause root crown rot and death.) The compost will slowly feed the plant and add microbes and good bacteria to the soil, which can help beat the fungus. If you don't use compost, be sure to fertilize. Healthy plants have a tendency to fight off pests and diseases, whereas stressed plants can't. Also, check the amount of water that your irrigation system is putting out, or how much you are hand-watering. Do not over-water-- this can add to the growth of fungus if the soil does not dry out in between waterings. Also, it can tamp out any oxygen in the soil, which the plants' roots need to thrive. Hope this helps!
    Charm Dreier

Please visit my blog!
    http://www.gardentraining.com

Registered Users

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that Rose Defense is fine for edibles as it is neem oil from the neem tree in India (Indian people used this to brush their teeth with-- totally safe), and horticultural oil is primarily mineral oil (another thing that humans can ingest safely-- is actually a common laxative!) The neem oil will kill pests and diseases, whereas the horticultural oil will only kill pests by smothering them, but it will also seal up the cuts made by pruning. Since your Blueberries are at a delicate time right now with their health, it is best to protect them since they will be attractive to pests now that they are stressed from their disease.
    Charm Dreier

Please visit my blog!
    http://www.gardentraining.com