Thread: Growing your own?

Hybrid View

To grow the most bang for your buck I would try berries, strawberries or raspberries. Things like potatoes, carrots, and other root vegetables are cheap and easier to find at the market. Berries are harder, more expensive, and rot quicker and so do not ship as well.

If not them, then I would grow peppers, as they too can be on the expensive side.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    To grow the most bang for your buck I would try berries, strawberries or raspberries. Things like potatoes, carrots, and other root vegetables are cheap and easier to find at the market. Berries are harder, more expensive, and rot quicker and so do not ship as well.

If not them, then I would grow peppers, as they too can be on the expensive side.
    Those are all excellent points. Also, grow what your family loves and what you tend to eat/buy the most.

Berries don't take up that much room ,either. They can even be grown in a large pot on a patio or deck if you don't have much room.

Berries are perfect for small spaces, herb gardens are quite good as well, and very easy on someone just getting started planting things on their own as well

There are many peppers and cherry/grape tomatoes that have been bred to be raised in planters. This is a good direction to go in as well.