Thread: Vermicomposting

Registered Users

Default Vermicomposting

I hope to start composting kitchen scraps with worms over this winter. Has anyone here done this? I don't want to invest much so hope to buy a small number of red wigglers from the bait shop rather than start with a whole pound.

Will starting small like this realistically work?

New Users

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Yan View Post
    I hope to start composting kitchen scraps with worms over this winter. Has anyone here done this? I don't want to invest much so hope to buy a small number of red wigglers from the bait shop rather than start with a whole pound.

Will starting small like this realistically work?
    Mr Yan.....I started 2 composting piles about 6 weeks ago. one is an open space in thr backyard.one in a 30gal container from Home Depot.I am using Leaves,Grass Clippings,Kitchen Scraps, and Red Wigglers from the Bait Shop.
    I have been using material from the open space pile to build raised beds.it is not fully composted but no matter.
    I plan to let the Container fully compost...May even buy another container.

New Users

It will work, but it will take the worms longer to eat the scraps as there are fewer fo them. One pound of worms eat about one pound of scraps a week - so don't overload them o you'll get problems. Are you putting them in an outdoor bin with other items as jbowen is? If son the composting will take place on its own to some degree - but if you really want worm castings then keep the worms in their own little tub with a cover (screen will work) if it's warm enough outside. I

n cold weather they get slow - so keep it in a warm spot on the patio or protected from rain and wind. Once the worms get established they will reporduce and then you won't need to buy any more. If you get flies or maggots it means you are feeding them too much and they cannot keep up - that can be a problem. If it happens add shredded newsprint or a little layering of soil to cover the foodstuffs not eaten to stop the flies.

New Users

you can also use shredded newspaper for your bedding in addition to your compost & kitchen scraps. Helps sop up water when things get a little too soggy in your bin.
    Don't Grow up. Its a trap!!!

We had a small worm farm once. They were so fun! I'd like to get started again.