Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Compost

Hybrid View

We have a compost pile but most of my food scraps go into a worm composter in the garage... I so want a tumbler we made one from a barrel but it does not work as fast as the big tumblers. I think our problem is we do not bag grass... I need to find a neighbor to give us their grass to speed up the compost.

Meg: I agree. I have the barrel, but want the big tumbler. I haven't forked out the money yet, but SO want one. How does your worm composter work? Does it make "worm tea?" I've looked at those for the garage, but haven't wanted to spend the money on that either.

Quote Originally Posted by msmeg View Post
    We have a compost pile but most of my food scraps go into a worm composter in the garage... I so want a tumbler we made one from a barrel but it does not work as fast as the big tumblers. I think our problem is we do not bag grass... I need to find a neighbor to give us their grass to speed up the compost.

I've been thinking about doing a worm bin myself. But I've don't have a garage and it would have to sit outside. I would like to use the "worm tea" for my plants. Does anybody know if I would be able to have one in Phoenix sitting outside?
    Start-Up Phase, resources to help your new business grow!
    [url]http://www.startupphase.com/forums/index.php[/url]

I don't know about the laws in Phoenix, but I do know that worm tea smells bad. I bought some online to use and had it in my kitchen cupboard. After a month or so, I had to take it outside. It is a horrid smell. I assume that the same odor would come from homemade "worm tea." Once I had it outside, I didn't notice the smell.

Quote Originally Posted by mom2manyboyz View Post
    I don't know about the laws in Phoenix, but I do know that worm tea smells bad. I bought some online to use and had it in my kitchen cupboard. After a month or so, I had to take it outside. It is a horrid smell. I assume that the same odor would come from homemade "worm tea." Once I had it outside, I didn't notice the smell.

I'm not surprised that it smelt bad if you had it in your kitchen cupboard for a month!! Worm tea is basically just the liquid that runs out of your worm bin, so that's the liquid produced when a pile of organic matter decomposes.

Zoning requirements aside, a worm bin should be OK in pretty much any climate so long as it is not allowed to get unduly hot or cold.

Quote Originally Posted by Green-Moo View Post
    I'm not surprised that it smelt bad if you had it in your kitchen cupboard for a month!! Worm tea is basically just the liquid that runs out of your worm bin, so that's the liquid produced when a pile of organic matter decomposes.

Zoning requirements aside, a worm bin should be OK in pretty much any climate so long as it is not allowed to get unduly hot or cold.

Unduly cold is no problem here in Phoenix. But unduly hot is the problem. Here in Phoenix the temperature, in the shade, has reached 120 degrees. I guess that means that a worm bin is out of the question.
    Start-Up Phase, resources to help your new business grow!
    [url]http://www.startupphase.com/forums/index.php[/url]

Yes, I know what worm tea is. Like I said, I ordered it online. It came in a nicely sealed plastic bottle. I just set it in the cupboard above the trash closet and forgot about it, until it began to smell.

Quote Originally Posted by mom2manyboyz View Post

a month or so was likely your problem.... it fermented on you......mine did fine outside until the temps got to be in the high 90's the week it hit 100 the adult worms died. same thing happened in the winter they froze in a lump in the middle tray so it lives in the garage. and it has no smell Mine has a drain we leave open with a bucket to catch the liquid.. that bucket of liquid usually does not smell even when it has been a few months. If I do smell something when I dump it on the garde there will be dead worms in it. So it is the decomposing worms not the compost. They should have just stayed in the bin....I also make compost tea buy putting some finished compost in a 5 gal bucket of water just about a cup and then let it sit 24 hours.

I was so lucky and found mine for $25 a lady was moving.

I have recently came across a compost bin available at Sams Club. It's all from recycled plastic, even the nuts, bolts and wrench. It comes with a locking lid. We found it very useful, we have gone and purchased 2 more before they ran out.

We recently made our own - such a good investment, and it creates such wonderful soil.
    Support your friendly [URL="http://www.roundrockflorist.org/"]Rock Rock florist[/URL].