Thread: Growing Plants Out of a Wall

Hybrid View

Default Boston Ivy

Can I start with seeds in the cracks of the walls or do I have to plant the ivy in a garden bed?

Thanks for you help

What I personally feel is that if you start with the seeds in the cracks of the garden then the walls may get damaged.

Default Same here

I thought the same thing, thanks

There are plants that can grow in basket of sphagnum moss. Attached to a wall, they would be stunning and might not cause damage. One of these types of plants might be a good alternative to vines.

Default Sphagnum Moss Baskets

I live in Philadelphia and I'm afraid anything in a basket will not have enough protection from the cold winter.

Quote Originally Posted by jbelak View Post
    I live in Philadelphia and I'm afraid anything in a basket will not have enough protection from the cold winter.

Ouch, good point. What about pillars, that hold pots, next to the wall? They might add a little drama and you could install LED lights to create mood during the summer months.

Banned

Default never put seeds in cracks in the wall

Quote Originally Posted by jbelak View Post
    Can I start with seeds in the cracks of the walls or do I have to plant the ivy in a garden bed?

Thanks for you help
    I had a plant growing out of my stone wall attached to my porch on my 100-year-old house and thought it was pretty cute until the wall fell down!

Rose White, author
    "Easy Gardens A to Z"