Thread: aspargus

Hybrid View

I've never heard of that and I would not try it. Salt kills pretty indiscirminately.

Are you sure it is grass though? Asparagus has a reseeding issue and those may just be small asparagus plants and not grass at all.

This winter I would try cutting it all back and then smothering it with mulch or plastic (which you'd then remove once the asparagus come sback int he spring)

I have heard of it and even talked to a man who did it... but I have never tried... I think it works because the asperagus roots are deep and the grass roots are not.

What he said is after he stops picking he puts rock salt in the bed ( no idea how much) and then compost..... I was afraid to try it so we hand pull after a rain still.

I've never heard of it, but it sounds like a dangerous experiment to me! I think that although weeding by hand may well take longer it would be far safer

I just suddenly got hungry!
    Sorry I can't be of help here, but I am curious since I've never heard of anyone growing asparagus...what type of soil are you using? Or rather, what area do you live in? I know it depends heavily on regions as well, and being in the red clay area of the South, it's awfully hard for me to think about growing much!

I have never heard of this before and therefore never done it, but I suppose it is worth a try.

Default Asparagus

Hi
    There is an established asparagus bed in my new garden, it was a fair amount of quack grass in it, I am going to give it my best with manually cleaning it this year before I try any other method. I find with the quack grass you have to make sure you get all of the root out, if not, in a day or two a new green shoot sprouts up!