Thread: Help Please! What happened to my trees?!??! (pics included)

Hybrid View

I will view the pics/links you provided.
    before reading the article, and after reading your reply...
    If...the bark is gone n a full circle (girdled) chances are NOT good of survival...I'll check out your pics (Dial Up internet...takes me a bit) LOL

Holy Cow Frisky Weasel...that's a lot of damage!
    You don't have squirrels do You?? that's one hungry Mouse/vole..whatever!!
    If you think it may be a squirrel, bust up some HOT peppers and either rub them on the tree, or mix with water, strain and spray on the trees

You do have a couple good things going for you though, the damage appears to be limited to the bark, which is the trees "protective" cover...
    And like Our skin, it is renewed from within; unfortunately it keeps out moisture and prevents the tree from losing moisture. It also insulates the tree and keeps out bugs
    the trees inner bark “phloem” feeds the rest of the tree, It dies after a bit and becomes part of the outer bark.

it appears that that only the bark is damaged.
    I would NOT cover it in any way, let it try to heal itself, covering the area could make it worse..

Quote Originally Posted by pharmerphil View Post
    Holy Cow Frisky Weasel...that's a lot of damage!
    You don't have squirrels do You??
    Yeah it's pretty bad isn't it : (. OH yeah - we have squirrels around here for sure...I see them all the time in the back yard during the spring/summer especially. I'm going to mix up some of that pepper solution and spray on it. With spring just around the corner, I'm thinking it won't be too long before I have some idea as to whether it will make it or not. I'm assuming if I don't see it putting on any leaves/foilage, then it's probably lost.

Good luck with the squirrels Frisky, they are the worst problem we have here in all seasons..spring/summer, they like the flower bulbs...fall/winter, they like to chew up the bird feeders...
    Most tell me they are best beaten in a beer batter and fried

Your trees are in some sort of disease.
    I think you should show it to a gardener.