Thread: tulips

Hybrid View

New Users

I know how you feel. A couple of years ago I worked very hard to plant about 250 tulip bulbs and not nearly that many came up. Being very curious, I went over to a spot where NONE had come up and dug around. The bulbs were gone. I thought that maybe voles had gotten them so I never planted in that area again. Now I live at a different location and last fall I planted 50 red tulip bulbs. It looks like just about all of them are up and blooming, but when I came home from work this afternoon I noticed a barespot where it looks like someone snapped off about three blooms and took home a little bouquet. They must have looked irresistably pretty!

Banned

Default tulips get eaten

Quote Originally Posted by Donna View Post
    I know how you feel. A couple of years ago I worked very hard to plant about 250 tulip bulbs and not nearly that many came up. Being very curious, I went over to a spot where NONE had come up and dug around. The bulbs were gone. I thought that maybe voles had gotten them so I never planted in that area again. Now I live at a different location and last fall I planted 50 red tulip bulbs. It looks like just about all of them are up and blooming, but when I came home from work this afternoon I noticed a barespot where it looks like someone snapped off about three blooms and took home a little bouquet. They must have looked irresistably pretty!
    I have had the same problem with squirrels eating my tulip bulbs, but I still buy cheap ones every year and replant them because they are so beautiful.

There does not seem to be much to do about flower lovers who come along and pick your blooms, though.

Rose White, author of
    Easy Gardens A to Z