Thread: Lavender cuttings

Smile Lavender cuttings

I would like to start some new lavender plants but taking cuttings from my own. When is the best time to do the cuttings? Are there any special methods? Any assistance would be appreciated.
    Cheers
    Cody Wellard

Banned

Here is a good site to show you how to use cuttings for new plants.

http://www.joys-of-lavender.com/lavender-cuttings.html

good Luck

Thanks for the info, the article give nice clear instructions. Just what I was looking for.
    Cheers!
    Cody Wellard

Thanks for sharing the article, I have always been curious about cloning an the article is very descriptive. I wonder why though it was said that it would be better to do it on a cloudy day though? Any thoughts? Have you already started your clones Cody? Would like to hear how the progress goes if possible.

New Users

I did a few cuttings early this year - February and I think it was too early - they just didn't take. The rosemary did fine but I am going to do the lavender again next month when there is mroe new growth on the mother plant. I think the cloudy day is because the bright sun might stimulate the plant too much right after taking cuttings.

It is a good article. I'd also like to see if this organic plant 'super food' I'm testing will work instead of rooting powder. I don't like the rooting powders - they all ahve this chemical in them that has all these hazard warnings about using them only on ornamentals and I harvest my lavender for herbal uses so I don't use it.

Any one have any good ideas for what to use instead? Do love my lavenders.

I have started seed of a few new varieties this year but my mother of the spanish type is still my favorite - so extravagant with its frilly blossoms!

I've always wanted to start a garden full of lavenders. I'm obsessed with lavender and the step-by-step process in the article given by klevelyn's link is just the perfect way for me to truly start my gardening plans now. Thanks.
    Check out www.gardentoolsandequipmentinfo.com for the best small lawn mowers.