I have two options. The first is growing them indoors and hardening them off outdoors. My other option is to grow them in a greenhouse outdoors in early spring. I would do it in early spring if starting in a greenhouse (March or April).

However I live in northern MI, so I'm wondering if my climate is too cold for the greenhouse. My gardening zone is 4b/5a.

I tried to do this last year, and it really didn't work out; I basically had no clue what I was doing.

I'm confused about how above the plants the light should be placed; I was given two suggestions,
1-1/2' above the plants and 2" above the plants.

I'm going to assume the light placed farther above the plants is for older seedlings, and the light placed closer is for younger seedlings that have just germinated? I just ask cause I know if it's too far above, leggy seedlings; too close and will burn the seedlings.

Also how powerful should the light be with watts per bulb, and how many for one grow light? Should I use a grow light that has two lights, or just one? I ask this because most grow lights have two 40 watt bulbs.

The previous grow light I've used had only one bulb, and was only 24 watts; is this not bright enough?

I realize it depends on how many seedlings you're growing; for me it would be 1-2 regular flats.