Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Does Your Garden Save You Money?

I have to say that I am not sure if my garden saves me money, because it is such great therapy, I did get plenty of veggies last year and was able to give some to my neighbors, I really enjoyed working in it. A lot of effort and money goes into gardening but I don't regret it at all.

Default Depends on how you figure

I have taken the time to figure out the cost and it comes down to what your time is worth. If you look at everything except your time; than yes it does save you money. I think we can all agree that there is a tremendous amount of time involved, and what is your time worth? With that said, forget the time factor and as others have mentioned look at the quality of the food, the personal therapy, and the quality family time. Seeing my family work together for the benefit of the family is priceless! It teaches children to appreciate that food doesn't grow in grocery stores. It involves hard work for someone. Also, don't forget the quality. You know what the plants have or haven't been treated with, you know how the food has been handled, and when you walk from your garden to your house; you know the food is as fresh as it gets. Enjoy your garden, it is worth it on many levels.

Quote Originally Posted by Edgeofparadise View Post
    Enjoy your garden, it is worth it on many levels.
    I think that's the key here. If I were to check dollar by dollar, my garden probably isn't saving me much money at all but it is serving as a great way to develop something I can completely care for and be proud of.

Personal satisfaction from gardening - PRICELESS!

Hi Guys,

where do you buy cheap tools and supplies?
    was thinking of using my local classifieds site to check out some stuff.

What's your opinion?
    Jenny

Does my garden save me money... well, yes and no! There are some things that don't like my climate (nights are cold for tomatoes and cukes which I buy) but kale, chard, squash and root vegetables thrive here.

Here are two thoughts on a money saving garden:

1. DIY and recycle!
    Buying expensive compost tumblers make a garden less profitable. Why not build your own compost bin out of scrap lumber, or even make an open pile and cover it with old tarps. If you have critters (say chickens) let them help with the composting. Allow wild "weeds" to serve as companions in your garden (chamomile draws up minerals from deep in the soil, wild radish is delicious and distracts bugs from eating young brassicas, wild Mexican marigolds are beautiful and deter pests, etc). Improve your soil by planting in a smart rotation and using green manures (again, think local and wild! Why not let wild mustard be your green manure crop?) instead of expensive amendments. If you want a garden to save money I think you have to get creative with your inputs.

2. What does it mean to save money on your garden? For me it is about more than just dollars and cents. My home grown vegetables are more than organic. They are grown as part of a cycle that enriches my soil, improving my land. They feed my family and my animals. They produce green material for my compost. I know every input that went into them. They are part of an ecosystem that has dedicated wild spaces to provide habitat for birds, squirrels, lizards, frogs and even deer. My footprint on the planet is smaller.

If you ask me, one of my homegrown carrots is worth a 5lb sack of organic store bought ones!

Default Home Grown Veggies are Worth So MUCH MORE!

Quote Originally Posted by hotblogging50 View Post
    I have to say that I am not sure if my garden saves me money, because it is such great therapy, I did get plenty of veggies last year and was able to give some to my neighbors, I really enjoyed working in it. A lot of effort and money goes into gardening but I don't regret it at all.
    I think the value of a home garden is so much more than just the amount of money you save at the supermarket. You build relationships with neighbors (perhaps start a bartering system, trading veggies for meat or honey or other goods). If you are sensible with planting rotations and cover crops you improve your soil, creating a valuable resource for the future. You limit your carbon footprint. You can dedicate "wild" areas of your yard to provide habitat for wildlife which in turn will help pollinate and manage pests in your garden. You are enriching your environment while most commercial farms, even organic ones, are harming it. This is priceless.

I think it would depend where you shop. i dont think i have saved any money