Thread: ground hog problems

Default ground hog problems

Any advice on how to get rid of ground hogs? We have raised beds that are fenced and have chicken wire under them...but the ground hogs are tunneling in under ground anyway. Destroyed my cabbage, beans and some kale. Very frustrating.........

Steel live-traps are usually pretty effective, and are a pretty humane approach. Just be sure to wash your hands with soap and water, and wear latex gloves when setting them. That way you're less likely to leave your scent behind.

If you're in an area where it's legal to do so, and if you're not opposed to lethal force, and you can do so safely, a .22 can work wonders. They also make lethal traps (spring loaded) - but you'll want to be careful if you have small children or pets who play in the backyard.

Hope this helps!

Like the .22 calibur suggestion =) Another idea is to use Ammonia to compel them to want to leave their existing burrows according to this source here: wisegeek.com/how-do-i-get-rid-of-groundhogs.htm

And here is another list of ideas, some redundant, from this source here: landscaping.about.com/cs/pestcontrol/a/groundhog_day_2.htm

1. Frightening groundhogs away from the garden with motion devices.
    2. Discouraging groundhogs with repellent smells or tastes.
    3. Fencing groundhogs out of the garden.
    4. Bringing out the heavy artillery: tossing gas cartridges into the groundhogs' burrows, etc.
    5. Live-trapping groundhogs as they exit their burrows and relocating them to an area far-removed from your garden (illegal in some states).

Let us know how it goes!

hmm I never thought of ammonia down a burrow. That might work for moles too.

My raised beds that I surrounded with chicken wire did the trick, for a time, then the groundhogs bent the wire away from the raised bed (made with 2x12's by the way). So using a construction staple gun I attached the wire firmly to the wood of the beds, no problems since.

But it does make it hard to reach in for weeding and whatnot.

I love raised gardens, that sounds like a great idea Chris!

Sometimes we are just better off switching out trying to grow living things with gardens that don't require any maintenance and can't die. . . such as rock gardens. . . =) jk