Thread: Picture of my beautiful Japanese Maple

Default Picture of my beautiful Japanese Maple

Wanted to share this photo, my Japanese Maple is at it's very best this year.
    Cheers!
    Cody Wellard

tmpphpYagzxc.jpg

its nice, but I like them pruned more to open up the structure allowing you to see the trunk and branches.

That's lovely! It seems like that took a long time for it to grow to be that abundant!

I like them when they are on fire!!! hehe, just kidding. That's a beautiful Japanese Maple. I like the idea of exposing the trunk and branches as well, but you could not touch it at all and it still looks beautiful. . . it's like. . . well . . me

Smile

Hadn't thought about pruning it back, I will give it some thought. Do you know when the best time to prune it is?
    Cheers !
    Cody Wellard

Hey Cody, these sites may have a little bit of conflicting info, but I think you can draw a general consensu and understanding of when the best times to prune Japanese Maples are by copying and pasting these links into your browser:

thepruningschool.com/Articles/maples.htm

botanicalgarden.ubc.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=22077

Smile

Thank you, I will check these sites out. It is great to be forwarded this type of info, much appreciated.
    Cheers!
    Cody

No problem Cody, good luck! Let me know how they work out for you.

I don't know that I've ever seen one that full/flowing. My first reaction is to prune prune prune in order to see some of the lovely limbs underneath, but... what you've got here is unique. I see pruned Japanese Maples all over the place in the suburbs around here. But again... I've never seen one like this.

As long as she's healthy (I don't own one so I don't know if this is healthy)... I vote to leave her alone and "let it flow." I think its beautiful.

I think you should root it out and replace it with weeds as they are much easier to grow!