Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: tulips

Wink tulips

I would like to know if anybody can give me any info on my tulips I planted approx. 400 tulip bulbs in total, my first year I got approx 6 dozen tulips and have yet to see another tulip that was 5 years ago. Any info please Oh yes I am new to the forum and sort of new to gardening

I would guess gophers or another rodent ate them all.

Next time try daffodils, they're poisonous and so are left alone.

I'd have to agree with Chris, but I feel so sorry that all your bulbs are gone! I can just imagine how beautiful 400 tulips would have looked had they all grown. Tulips are one of my favorites!

Quote Originally Posted by tulip View Post
    I would like to know if anybody can give me any info on my tulips I planted approx. 400 tulip bulbs in total, my first year I got approx 6 dozen tulips and have yet to see another tulip that was 5 years ago. Any info please Oh yes I am new to the forum and sort of new to gardening
    Since some of the bulbs were productive, you might look at location. The tulips that actually grew may be in a better location for growth!

Quote Originally Posted by tulip View Post
    Try to check out this link Tulip: http://www.urbanext.uiuc.edu/bulbs/qa.html, it has major questions about the problems faced regarding the tulip plantation being answered. I even checked out : http://www.backyardgardener.com/plants/tulip.html which has information too about gardening.

I really love tulips as they are really beautiful.But oh I really feel so bad that all your tulips did not grow.Next time you plant tulips gather full information and then try .

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    I would guess gophers or another rodent ate them all.

Next time try daffodils, they're poisonous and so are left alone.
    Is this why I can't get rid of my daffodils? I hate them and have dug them up repeatedly, but they just won't go away! The last few years, I've just given up, and so of course I have many more now. Bleh.

Awww, that's so sad. Hopefully you'll be able to find an explanation and have better luck in the future.

As chris said the problem might be rodents. But I also know that over crowded growing may also create a problem as then most tulips cant survive and they have to fight for space....Also because of their growing cycle many experts suggest that the tulip bulbs should actually be removed in june and then replanted again in september....
    So the problem might have been any of the above...
    hope this helps........

Default Tulips

I only plant tulips in pots as the bulbs tend to rot or get eaten by something. I love bulbs having lived in Holland for years so I plant lots and reap the rewards in springtime here in Ireland. I find the grape hyacinths, daffodils (all kinds), tete a tete and alliums come back year on year. I also buy them in pots from January onwards and then plant them outside so the garden is now full of bulbs. Problem is I dig them up when planting other bits and pieces during the year but usually just put them back again and they survive most of the time.
    Tulips do very well in pots so try that for this coming year.
    M