Thread: Tomato problems

Default Tomato problems

Wondering what is eating these leaves.
    sorry for bad photo my good camera is not working.

thanks for your help

From what I can make out in the picture, you do not have an insect, you have-CLICK>> Early Blight

It looks as though it's in it's early stages...
    Early Blight fungus overwinters in plant residue and is soil-borne. It can also come in on transplants. Remove affected plants and thoroughly clean fall garden debris. Wet weather and stressed plants increase likelihood of attack. Copper and/or sulfur sprays can prevent further development of the fungus.

im growing these in several pots on my balcony so what your saying is this fungus
    was in the poting soil i bought?

anything i can do besides remove the plants? a spray to remove the fungus?

It's a bit late to start over.
    Last edited by Easy bake; 05-14-2011 at 03:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Easy bake View Post
    im growing these in several pots on my balcony so what your saying is this fungus
    was in the poting soil i bought?

anything i can do besides remove the plants? a spray to remove the fungus?

It's a bit late to start over.
    It can and will carry over in the seed, it could be in the soil though also..
    yes it is a bit late to start over, but lets not throw the towel in yet...
    Once any disease or fungus has shown it's ugly face, it's very hard to beat it ...

Prevention is the key..

Once you have EB...Organically, most likely you will not be able to beat it, but it's worth a try a copper base fungicide if you want to go organic...
    If you want to try Non-organics....there are many others labeled for tomato blights.
    chlorothalonil, maneb, and mancozeb fungicides will control it.

First though is some sthat need be asked here is...
    What size of pots are you using?
    what type of soil/potting medium?
    and lastly, Is this problem limited to the lower sets of leaves?

True that with early blight it shows up on the lower part of plants, then the disease moves upward...However, being the bottom leaves, on a larger plant, they will start to yellow and wither...a pot that's undersized, or soil that is to compact...will also cause leaf deformation...
    If you have a County agriculture office nearby, take the leaf into the County Extension office, they will be able to tell you straight out if it is early blight, as I could if I had it in my hands.

I bought a fungacide/insecticide mixture yesterday and sprayed them down.

Active ingredients: Sulpher .20% and Pyrethrins .01%
    alos bought a better fertilizer that has some sulphers, calcium and magnesium in it.

so far it is only on the lower leaves.

should i pull off those leaves?

these are the pots their in

Last edited by Easy bake; 05-15-2011 at 04:20 PM.

more high quality pictures.

just starting

advanced

I actually just found the exact same thing you have pictured on the 5 "test" tomato plants I have in my new raised beds. I'm going to try Phil's advice and see if a copper/sulfur spray will do the trick.

Its Spider Mites !

According to a horticulture professor my dad used to know at Michigan State.

the spray I bought said it kills spider mites so hopefully iv got it under control.

they suck the juices out of the leaves, which is why the damage is spoty.
    Last edited by Easy bake; 05-18-2011 at 03:17 AM.

Ah!!! Good work! I never would've suspected such a thing. I'll see if I can find a natural spray that takes care of that. Hopefully that will do the trick.