Thread: New to Gardening - Need soil help

Default New to Gardening - Need soil help

Well hello everyone!! I am new here and completely new to gardening!!

I have built a 4x6 raised bed that is 10-inches deep, that will be in full sun for at least 8 hours a day. Now I am looking to fill it and get my plants in there.

I have been doing a lot of online research regarding what type of soil I need to use and and how much of each. I am looking for a little guidance and to know if I bought the right stuff.

My native soil is garbage...so I am filling the bed with other stuff.

I bought 14 cu. ft. of Miracle Grow Garden Soil, 3 cu. ft. of Peat Moss, and 3 cu. ft. of a Manure/Hummus mix. Is this good??

Also, when I go to mix the soil....do I mix everything together and then fill the bed?? Do I put some down in layers and just mix the top??

Any and all help is greatly appreciated!! Thanks in advance!!

Hello, sounds like you have it dialed in, Good job on your choices...Yes, get a wheelbarrow, or lay out a tarp, mix the amendments, and then fill your beds...I would water it well, and let it settle and dry enough to plant first....
    Most garden soils if placed in a flower pot, or raised bed compact after successive waterings and restrict root growth, so your soil is no different...You've done good

I agree... you've done a good job with your materials. I built a couple beds this year and filled it with almost all the same materials you did. I used about 60% organic garden soil - 10% sand (not the play sand) - 10%regular top soil - and about 20% peat. For good measure, I also mixed in a couple 5 gal buckets of my own compost. I also watered it and things are looking good. I've gone out and checked it a couple times and it appears the worms are getting in there and enjoying it, so that's good! I'd say you are definitely on the right track!
    Last edited by nofeargardener; 06-14-2011 at 07:39 PM.

Thanks!!

I finished filling the bed today. I have 2 cu.ft. of soil left and 1cu.ft. of peat left.

I watered the soil, but the water was not draining through the soil. I would let it sit a few minutes and it would still be pooled up on the surface...then I'd use a pitch fork and underneath was completely dry.

So someone told me that new soil can be water "repellent" a bit and to water it and mix it a couple times. So I did that....then I lost sun light. When I left it, it still seemed to be mostly mud.

Did I do something wrong?? Is this other guy right in saying it is repellent at first?? Should I add more peat?? But doesn't peat hold water?? I'm totally baffled right now.

no, the soil you have will soak the water up, it will just take some itme and turning it.
    When we start our garden bedding plants, I lay the potting soil out on plastic, and use a pump up sprayer to wet it, then cover and let it sit over night, next day it's ready to use, and...it will then take water normally

So everything is planted and growing well!! I have string beans and peas already growing.

But the soil just doesn't seem right. When I water the garden, the water pools up on the surface and then runs down to a corner that is a low part of the garden. Today after watering, I dug into the garden and noticed that the soil underneath the top layer was not getting wet.

What is going on here??

Default Premium soils!

What would be one of the best types of soil fertilizer? I have been using fox farm but I can't seem to find anything better

Fox Farm is a fantastic soil in my opinion. I would especially recommend their Ocean Forest - http://foxfarmfertilizer.com/products_soils1.html - It's a really good mix.
    By utilizing a Lumatek Ballast you are giving your garden the artificial lighting your plants need for those who want to garden year round or indoors. Get more lumen with a Lumatek Digital Ballast than competing brands.