Thread: 2 new peppers we are growing this season

Default 2 new peppers we are growing this season

This season we are tryng two peppers we have not grown before, One, we got from a vendor at a Flea market in Lake City, Mn.
    It is called the Ho Chi Minh
    Now I don't know how well known this pepper is, I tried the pepper from which we saved the seeds, and it was hot, but not as hot as the description I found online at Fedco Seeds.
    QUOTED FROM FEDCO SEEDS:
    Open-pollinated.
    Longtime Minnesota co-op owner Steven Schwen sent us seeds for this beautiful shining cayenne pepper from Southeast Asia.
    He got it in the 1980s when the first wave of boat people landed in Minnesota and came to his farm looking for chickens and ducks. He named it Ho Chi Minh in honor of the Vietnamese revolutionary who defeated all the colonialists who invaded his country.
    According to Schwen it has a bite that says “run home to your mama!” We enjoyed its prolific production (up to two dozen fruit per plant), its heat and good flavor in the trials. Peppers 4-5" long on 3' plants grow like large fingers turning from bright yellow to crimson in late August. They are excellent dried.

We shall see!

The Other variety, I am very curious about is one we have been gifted with by a friend from India
    (Thanks Sameer)
    The seed packet was in their language, and showed a Long RED pepper...so a quick email to Sam...and he told me it was called
    Laungi Mirchi...so I found this info online.

Laungi Mirchi is one of the spiciest chilly found in India. It originated in the region of Kanpur and looks like a clove, giving it its name. This chilly is used at the beginning of the cooking process because you only need its flavour.

The tree needs a less humid climate for cultivation and the chilly is plucked a little early. For as it ripens, it loses its flavour; when it turns orangish, it means the spice is lost
    So according to the above, it is best used green; again, we shall see..
    Did you notice the word TREE was used, I hope they meant bush

Sam (Sameer) also gave Us seed for a variety of eggplant (I need to ask him the name)
    The picture shows a beautiful burgundy colored specimen, very interesting...And, I seeded them along side the Rosa Bianca eggplant, and they are all up!
    Rosa's are not as of yet

ooh these sound delicious! do update later in the summer with how they are growing! I might have to look for some of those seeds myself!

Those Ho Chi Minh look sooooo goooood!

Thanks Rooty and Big...they should be very interesting...a good addition to are seed stock, all peppers we started are up, doing well, waiting for SPRING to finally get things warmed up here, typically we plant out on, or the weekend before Memorial day here...I will update as to their progress

Sounds exciting! My father-in-law's farm out in Minnesota just got flooded recently. You won't have any problems from all the water you guys have been getting in Minnesota will you?

I know he's heading out to the farm this weekend to see how are things are doing. He always plants fields of corn, alfalfa and other good plants that bring the pheasants and the deer for hunting season.

Quote Originally Posted by thebigtomato View Post
    Sounds exciting! My father-in-law's farm out in Minnesota just got flooded recently. You won't have any problems from all the water you guys have been getting in Minnesota will you?

I know he's heading out to the farm this weekend to see how are things are doing. He always plants fields of corn, alfalfa and other good plants that bring the pheasants and the deer for hunting season.
    Thanks for Asking
    But no, we are on the highest point in Steele county ...
    Sorry to hear about you Father in-laws place, and for all who have had flooding...Only problem we have here are the winds, nothing around Us but Corn and bean fields...
    I appreciate and respect those that plant out for the wildlife, bless their hearts!!
    I'm betting your FIL's place might have some Morel Mushrooms too??

Actually no, not that I know of about the mushrooms. My wife and I just had a baby girl this past week. Mother in law flew in last Saturday, Father in law gets here on Wednesday. I'm sure I'll be talking to him about the farm when he gets here. If I have any exciting or interesting tid bits, I'll update. Thanks.

Default where can I find some?

Phil -
    These peppers look and sound great, and to find a pepper I've never tried is intriguing to me!
    Are these all open pollinated and do you have seed for sale/trade? I haven't been able to find a local or online seller, not even my favorite web store.

Cheers!
    Organic Mommy

"Peace on Earth and Good Will Toward (Wo)Men!"
    I am a proud supporter of www.arkinstitute.com - "Sowing the Seeds of Self-Reliance"