Thread: strange squash

Question strange squash

We planted what was listed as spaghetti squash. We see what we know to be spaghetti squash, but also some other form of squash that we have never seen before. The color starts as green and white striped and turns almost orange in color. The shape is round - when compared to traditional spaghetti squash. I have included pictures - comparing a spaghetti squash from our garden to this other type. Does anyone know what this is?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Well, the tell will be inside. Plants that get varying forms of nutrients from the soil can get varying results in their fruit. So it could be your soil is particular. If the inside still has that unique spaghetti squash texture, that is what I would guess.

On the otherhand, if the inside is not like that. What you have is probably a new hybrid, sometimes with cross pollination you can get weird squashes. Theoretically it should only be the seeds that change, and the next generation will be different, but I've heard of it happening. Of course if you save seeds then it could have been last years crop that had the cross pollination issue.

For this reason it is not recommended to plant things like gourds, near edible squash varieties.