Thread: Automatic plant-watering system for cheap

Default Automatic plant-watering system for cheap

There's a neat, environmentally-friendly plant-watering system you can build for almost no money. It is made from recycled plastic soda bottles, so after you have had your soda, you can make one of these devices, and when it breaks you can still recycle it again! Don't like to let strangers in your house to water your plants when you are away but don't like coming home to dead plants either? Check out www.kahnlandscaping.com/blog.html. It has step-by-step directions.

This is old news..done this since ther were plastic bottles

Default Where else?

Where else have you seen a design like this - where one could make your own with step-by-step directions?

You can find them anywhere already made, Or, you can find directions, just like your directions at many other websites, try googling it...
    I could post a dozen links now, but it's against the forum rules

Lightbulb Already exists

There is a device which is patented that looks something like mine but it is opaque which means it doesn't give a visual cue when to add water.

Also there is a device which consists of a cone-shaped tip like the water pick but has standard soda bottle threads on the wide end so all one has to do is screw it on to a bottle, replacing the bottle cap. I've seen those online at $9.00 for a set of six.

I buy the water picks [floral spikes] in quantity so they cost me about $0.08 each and my design uses the whole bottle, cap and all. Also my design works with non-standard sized bottle caps like the 20 oz. Snapple bottles.

But I will take your word for it that they exist somewhere. If you are willing I will give you my private email so you can send me some of those links that violate the forum rules.

New Users

I used this system last year while we were traveling for a month and it worked great. Actually, I bought the tips that go on the bottles instead of making them, but they were pretty cheap.

Question Bought the tips

@Compost Lady, you say you bought the tips? Are you talking about the ones that screw on to standard-size soda bottle threads? If so, how much and where did you buy them?