Thread: New to board and toads in window wells!

Question New to board and toads in window wells!

Hello All

Im new to this board. Love my xeriscape gardens and woody backyard. I have been rescuing toads from my window wells for a few yrs ( among the stray kitten here n there) and wonder if the toads need rescuing? Shoudl i leave them alone? Here Im thingking Im doign some good but then i think mayeb they wanna be there? Any thoughts?

Thx

KS

if they can jump out by themselves, I would leave them, but if you have a deep windowwell, I would rescue them.... OR stack some large stones on the side to allow them to rescue themselves.

I agree with Chris. But a good indication as to whether or not they need rescuing..... are there any dead toads? I know that sounds morbid, but we used to have the same issue when we lived in the country. We'd find toads and salamanders in there. I also found a couple dried out toads, which obviously means they couldn't get out. Ultimately, if you're concerned about it, I think Chris' idea of stacking a few stones or bricks in there could help. If you want to go a step further, you could cover your window wells with some chicken wire or a clear plastic cover.