Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Compost Bin

New Users

I simply put 3 pallets together for a simple compost bin. You can get pallets free of charge at most lumber yards or "big box" stores. I put one on the rear and fasten 1 on each side with long screws or nails then put a piece of 1x4 across the front at the top to keep it from spreading. I have 2 of those right now----1 for new compost and 1 for stuff that is done but not quite needed just yet. Each bin is approximately 4 ft. tall by 3 1/2 ft. wide and deep.

When they finally fall apart after a few years, simply get more pallets and make more for free.

Default No to styrofoam

Quote Originally Posted by DaveB View Post
    Personally I used to be a chemist working in food migration and I'd stay well away from styrofoam in your garden, but don't take my word for it.

See the txt below from David M Bryant Ph D, University of New Hampshire, Environmental Education Program

---

>>I've read this thread with some consternation as a soil scientist.
    >>>I know this may sound like recycling of styrofoam but it's really
    >>>putting xenobiotics (highly recalcitrant synthetics) into the
    >>>soil. I'm not really sure if it would meet your other goal
    >>>either. While quantitatively decreasing soil bulk density, as
    >>>does soil organic matter (SOM) I doubt that it provides any of the
    >>>other benefits of SOM. Styrofoam is a closed cell material, so
    >>>even with a high surface area (internally and externally) I doubt
    >>>that soil solution or nutrients can interact with these surfaces
    >>>to provide cation/anion exchange or enhance soil aeration as the
    >>>cells are generally filled with a synthetic gas (previously these
    >>>were CFCs).
    >>>
    >>>Also, there is increasing evidence that plastics release synthetic
    >>>compounds, the effects of some are known others unknown.
    >>>Moreover, organic chemistry of the SOM and plastics degradation
    >>>are not well understood.
    >>>
    >>>If you have any data or literature on these questions I would be
    >>>very interested. In lieu of any evidence of benefits/hazards I
    >>>would strongly advise against the practice.
    >>>
    >>>David
    >>>
    >>>David M Bryant Ph D
    >>>University of New Hampshire
    >>>Environmental Education Program
    >>>Durham, NH 03824

---
    I am also a chemist - styrofoam has no place in the compost bin of any garden, it should be recycled in the weekly rubbish.
    Last edited by Chris; 01-07-2011 at 02:19 AM. Reason: signature links must be kept in your actual signature.

Its one of the best thread in the forum
    really amazing
    [URL=http://www.chlmortgagebankers.com/] mortgage loans new york [/URL]

All those can decompose and in the long last you have your compost ready. Those are just decomposing agents and thus you need not to worry. The problem is that they can attract rodents and also gush out an owful smell. try to keep your bin away from your house.
    [url="http://www.share-the-joy.com/GrowRooms-GrowTent-c5.html"]Grow Tent[/url]

Compost Bins Gardening Imagine how your lawn and garden would benefit from unlimited amounts of free organic fertilizer.
    Imagination is more important than Knowledge - Einstein

I just acquired my first composting barrel. (love craigslist lol) It is homemade on an axle with legs about 4 feet of the ground.

It's a great design but I think it might need some holes drilled into it for oxygen to get in. What do you think?

The guy I bought it from said that he could make "dirt" in 21 days from composting just his dried leaves if he chopped them up with the mower first. Anyone believe this?

I filled it about 1/2 full with kitchen waste I had been saving, last years compost pile that resembles black clumps of grass, and the leaves that I chopped up the last time I mowed last year (yes they were still in my catcher bag). I wet it all down good and turned it several times to mix it all up. Turned it again the next day. Planning on turning it every 3-5 days until it resembles compost.

How long do you think it will take to be able to use this in my garden?

I'd like to get another one but I can just imagine what my neighbors will think if I start lining up blue barrels in my yard. I guess I will just start another pile of my new stuff and add it all to the barrel when this batch is finished.
    www.growing-your-own.com

Something I have found that works great for composting is my chickens. They stay locked up in their pin for the first couple hours a day, its about a 10'X15' pin. I just add everything that I would normally put into my compost pile to their pin. They are constantly picking through it getting out the bugs and seeds from anything I throw in and at the same time they keep everything turned and airated. It produces compost pretty quick, generally I get 6 to 8 large wheel barrels full about 3 times a year. And none of the work done by me really.