Thread: Wine Barrels

Hybrid View

Default Wine Barrels

We were lucky enough to find some inexpensive wine barrels, already cut in half of course, so we snagged them. I am going to use them as planters in our shady back yard.

What type of plants would do well in them, without requiring a lot of sunlight? I would love to have something that flowers, but I know that might not be possible with the lack of sunlight.

Any suggestions?

Wine barrels are absolutely wonderful for planting flowers. Hostas, bachelor buttons, phlox, marigolds, etc.

The problem is most plants need sunlight however there are some plants that love shade and don't need as much sunshine these plants are ones like; Columbine, Bleeding Heart, Bergenia, Hellebore, Coleus, Begonias, Impatiens, Lily of the valley, Cyclamen and most kinds of Orchids. I hope that you have success in adding these flowers to your garden I am sure it will look beautiful once they are all in bloom. Let us know how you get on.

Quote Originally Posted by Mickie31 View Post
    The problem is most plants need sunlight however there are some plants that love shade and don't need as much sunshine these plants are ones like; Columbine, Bleeding Heart, Bergenia, Hellebore, Coleus, Begonias, Impatiens, Lily of the valley, Cyclamen and most kinds of Orchids. I hope that you have success in adding these flowers to your garden I am sure it will look beautiful once they are all in bloom. Let us know how you get on.
    Thanks for the list. I don't know if I still have time to pick up some of these plants this year, but this gives me a great selection of what to save for during the winter mo nths.

Thanks!

Banned

Default shady plants

Other plants which like the shade are impatiens, coleus, aster, marigold, bachelor button, daisy, cosmos, hosta, bergenia, evening primrose, anemone, ostrich feather fern, mondo grass, mint, sedum, pansy, lily-of-the-valley, viola, fuchsia, carpet bugle, squirrel corn, heather, trillium, astilbe, columbine, hardy cyclamen, trillium, lady’s mantle, Jacob’s ladder, Solomon’s seal, bellflower, candytuft, tellima, sweet rocket, rocket larkspur, sweet William, Shirley poppy, sweet alyssum, balloon flower, euphorbia, iris, Spanish bluebells, yucca, common foxglove, baby blue eyes, barrenwort, saxifrage stribrnyi, bears’ breeches, globe thistle, lilyturf, meadow rue, toadflax, bugleweed, hen-and-chicks, bleeding hearts, forget-me-nots, Veronica, blue star, tick seed, delphinium, crocosmia, daylilies, chrysanthemum maximum, ligularia, begonias and geraniums, to name a few.

There are many more, in fact.

Rose White, author
    "Easy Gardens A to Z"