Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Butterflies

Default Butterfly

I have two butterfly bushes and cone flowers, I have found the butterflies love both. I didn't know they liked parsley, I will have to plant some in my garden this year.

I'd have to try the butterfly bushes then. I love this thread! Now, I don't just have to content myself with looking at the pretty butterflies on my phone and on my computer as my background and screensaver. I do love to go out and see those butterflies for real. I've just started with gardening again though and have gone through a lot of stuff online, including this helpful thread.

Add nectar-rich flowering plants to your garden. Similar plants like sunflowers, marigolds and some pentas, attract butterflies and avoid spraying poisonous pesticides if possible.

They like Yarrow, and Rose of Sharon also. I use mass plantings of many plants suggested here. What you also should do is give them a place to drink water. I use a small birdbath in the center of my planting with a flat rock in the center just above the water line. I remember reading not long ago, a monarch butterfly can smell Asclepias incarnata butterfly weed from 20 miles away. So there is that.