Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Raised Garden Beds for Wheel Chair Gardener

Default Raised Garden Beds for Wheel Chair Gardener

Hi,

I have a neighbor that is now in a wheel chair. She has a beautiful garden of field flowers and rose bushes. Most of her neighbors have been tending the garden for her, but she's feeling left out because she can't do it herself. She says she's missing playing in the dirt. That I can understand.

A few of the neighbors were wondering if there was a way that maybe the beds can be raised up to chair level where she can roll up to the beds and garden away with everyone? Does anyone have any suggestions of books with landscape diagrams? Has anyone seen something like we have in mind?

DCMerkle

I don't see why you couldn't have a raised flower bed? I don't know the particulars on how you would do it but I wouldn't think it would be really hard to do. I think it is great that you guys are looking for ways where she can become more involved in what she loves to do.

Quote Originally Posted by tater03 View Post
    I don't see why you couldn't have a raised flower bed? I don't know the particulars on how you would do it but I wouldn't think it would be really hard to do. I think it is great that you guys are looking for ways where she can become more involved in what she loves to do.
    Thanks tater. A couple of the men are putting their heads together and drawing up plans. What they have in mind is laying a concrete slab, building boxes out of railroad ties and lining them with some sort of non-rust covering on the inside walls, then that would get filled with dirt. We are hoping it works out, but any suggestions would still be appreciated.

DCMerkle

Quote Originally Posted by dcmerkle View Post
    Thanks tater. A couple of the men are putting their heads together and drawing up plans. What they have in mind is laying a concrete slab, building boxes out of railroad ties and lining them with some sort of non-rust covering on the inside walls, then that would get filled with dirt. We are hoping it works out, but any suggestions would still be appreciated.

DCMerkle

You live in a wonderful neighborhood. It is great that people care about each other enough to help improve this woman's quality of life.

One of mine raised beds is 4 feet off the ground, just because I dont want to bend over.

There is no limited on how high you can build them, you just end up needing more dirt.

Default Now there's synchronicity

My wife is an ergonomist and occupational therapy and we were discusing this veryissue of garden beds for wheelchair users the other day.

One of the things she said that would make a big difference is designing thebed so that the chair user could work them face on.

Working face on will avoid the need for twisting and the resulting tirdness, aches and possible injuries that could develop.

If this isn't possible then "alcoves" in the bed whic allow face on and bothe sides may be a good idea?

Dave,
    Bees & Chickens are the true path.

Natural Gardening:If you want to keep the bugs out of your produce, don't use insecticides use complementary planting...

[URL=http://www.oiltorches.net]oil torches[/URL] are stylish, and, if you want to keep the bugs away from your patio [URL=http://www.citronellatorches.net]citronella torches[/URL]

What a fantastic idea, and what fabulous neighbors!!! My suggestion would be to not forget the drainage issue. The bottom of the bed could be filled with rocks, just as you would a small planter, perhaps. Most towns have places they dump broken-up concrete that you could probably get access to for the asking. It would save you from having to come up with so much soil, as well.
    I would love to hear more about this project!

New Users

Smile

Me too. Easier to weed that way.
    bali

Quote Originally Posted by dcmerkle View Post
    Hi,

I have a neighbor that is now in a wheel chair. She has a beautiful garden of field flowers and rose bushes. Most of her neighbors have been tending the garden for her, but she's feeling left out because she can't do it herself. She says she's missing playing in the dirt. That I can understand.

A few of the neighbors were wondering if there was a way that maybe the beds can be raised up to chair level where she can roll up to the beds and garden away with everyone? Does anyone have any suggestions of books with landscape diagrams? Has anyone seen something like we have in mind?

DCMerkle
    Wow that is a special case. I think it is possible and that will keep her busy and never lonely again. Try to visit your flower store they must have a user friendly raised bed or can help construct one.
    [url="http://www.share-the-joy.com/GrowRooms-GrowTent-c5.html"]Grow Tent[/url]

we did this for some folks at a care center, the bottoms of the boxes were filled with creek stones, for drainage, we added a solid aluminum bottom angled so the drain hose drained down the outside pillar, back to a reclamation tank, thus recycling the water for all the gardeners to use.

We also installed standard raised wheel chair accessible beds.
    the link below is a .pdf file, with the material list, plans and pictures for those
    Building Wheelchair Accessible Raised Garden Beds