My very first post!! I recently have begun my very first raised vegetable garden. Before this year, I did container gardening, and now that I have gained the confidence, I've moved up and on!!!

The garden is 16' X 4', framed into 4 sections. The soil consists of existing soil from the plot selected, mixed with loam and composted matter. The soil is rather course, and packs tightly.

I have planted sugar snap peas, pole beans, and green onion seeds. I've also added nursery plants such as tomato, bell peppers, eggplant, broccoli, and lettuces. The seeds have been in the ground for 8 days and the plants for about 4 days. No seedlings have emerged as of yet.

Here's my problem. When I water, or when it rains, puddles will form at the surface(I realize there are some un-even areas causing puddling). Eventually, the water will drain, but I'm concerned with heavier rains and/or what will happen to my seeds.

So, I ask, is there anything I can do with my soil, without disturbing what has already been planted. I've inspected the soil by hand, and it seams tightly compacted. Please help this novice gardener!!

Thank you!