Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bluebells

Default Bluebells

Is this true? My mum told me today that bluebells are protected and you cannot dig them out of your garden. Is this true? It doesn't seem true because if bluebells are in your garden and you don't want them then surely it is your right to remove them. This just doesn't seem to make sense and my mum said you could get into a lot of trouble for removing them. Then she said she wonders if it is all bluebells or just British bluebells. Either way it doesn't seem to make sense. Has anyone else heard anything about this?

I am not sure where you live. In UK it is against the law to pick or dig up wild flowers but this does not apply to your own garden. I have lots of bluebells in my garden, I love them and they seem to increase in numbers every year.

It is strange since I posted this there has been a programme on the television about British bluebells being protected. Apparently even if they are in your garden you are not allowed to dig them up because they are a protected plant. I do love the look of bluebells they cheer up the garden and give it more colour. They also look pretty, but I always looked at bluebells as weeds and not plants. I also never knew that you could have a law about plants and flowers. It has definately taught me something new.

Quote Originally Posted by Mickie31 View Post
    It is strange since I posted this there has been a programme on the television about British bluebells being protected. Apparently even if they are in your garden you are not allowed to dig them up because they are a protected plant. I do love the look of bluebells they cheer up the garden and give it more colour. They also look pretty, but I always looked at bluebells as weeds and not plants. I also never knew that you could have a law about plants and flowers. It has definately taught me something new.
    Mickie, what country does this law apply to? I love wild flowers and I am happy to have them in my garden, my favourite is the primrose.

It applies to the UK. I love primrose too but, I didn't know it was a wild flower. I always thought that wild flowers were the same as weeds is this true? I mean I can understand the daisy being called a weed or dandelion even buttercup for example, but marjoram, primrose, sage and marigold's are so beautiful that I would not call them weeds. I always associated weeds with dirt or being annoying and growing where they were not wanted. I thought they were completely different from wild flowers. Can someone please clarify this for me.

A weed is just a plant that is growing in the wrong place! Almost everything I can think of has a use and is necessary in terms of habitat, food or healing properties. We choose not to have certain things in our gardens and if they insist on growing anyway we call them weeds. Primroses look wonderful growing wild, they are like a carpet of pale lemon in spring. They grow wild across UK but I have seen loads in Cornwall. The ones we grow in our gardens are a different cultivated type with stronger colours and less delicate flowers.

I heard the same thing about Ladyslippers. If it is against the law to pick them, it wouldn't bother me anyway. I prefer to watch nature do her thing and I see the beauty of flowers in their natural surroundings.

There are lots of state laws in the US concerning wild flowers and restrictions against picking them along the public highways. For instance, in Texas where I grew up, you can get arrested picking blue bonnets (state flower) along a country road, and I'm sure that applies to Indian paint brush and all the rest. But, I don't know if that applies to private property - knowing Texas, where property rights are king, I kind of doubt it. I have no idea about New york, where I live now.

Default bluebells

I just bought a packet of 10 bluebells as part of my autumn bulbs and they cost me EUR 5.99 but they are worth it. I love and like all bulbs that grow in springtime they bring me great joy and satisfaction year after year.
    I believe they are protected as well as the wild primroses (pale yellow) that still grow in the banks on the roadsides in the country of Ireland.

M

Banned

Default weeds or not?

Quote Originally Posted by Mickie31 View Post
    It applies to the UK. I love primrose too but, I didn't know it was a wild flower. I always thought that wild flowers were the same as weeds is this true? I mean I can understand the daisy being called a weed or dandelion even buttercup for example, but marjoram, primrose, sage and marigold's are so beautiful that I would not call them weeds. I always associated weeds with dirt or being annoying and growing where they were not wanted. I thought they were completely different from wild flowers. Can someone please clarify this for me.
    Many weeds are beautiful and I plant them in my yard - even dandelions! When it grows too big, I did it up. I love the little yellow blooms in the grass. I think it is a matter of opinion whether something is called a weed, a wildflower or plant. Choose what you like and enjoy them.

Rose White, author of
    Easy Gardens A to Z