Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Secret to Attracting Butterlies

Butterfly weed is a host plant (don't worry it isn't a weed).If you have access to some horse poop,you can take a shallow dish,mix it with water and leave it in the garden.Believe it or not they are attracted to it.

what i am gonna tell you is really interesting and informative
    milkweed is the flowery plant that attracts butterflies most because caterpillars eat the leaves of this plant happily so butterflies don't find any plant better than this to lay eggs on ..

Also try lantanas !

Banned

Default plants which attract butterflies

Quote Originally Posted by tater03 View Post
    I never knew that there were actual plants or flowers that specifically attracted butterflies. I think that it would be great to have a butterfly garden.
    A few of the colorful plants which attract butterflies include butterfly weed, coleus, butterfly blue pincushion, yarrow, sage, aster, coneflower, iris, coreopsis, phlox, goldenrod, heliotrope, alyssum and zinnia. Also fennel, Mona lavender, black and blue salvia guarantica and fan flower.

Butterflies also like butterfly bushes, sunflowers, potentilla bushes and bluebird shrubs. They also like vines which include Persian carpet zinnia, petunia, coleus, Spanish flag and vinca.

For starters, the butterfly bushes I have seen in Philadelphia area always have butterflies hovering over the blooms. They make a real sweet garden.

Rose White, author of Easy Gardens Volume 13 -
    Bird Sanctuary Plus Butterfly and Hummingbird Gardens
    Last edited by Rose White; 02-18-2010 at 08:45 AM.

Banned

Default plants which attract hummingbirds

Quote Originally Posted by debrajean View Post
    Do you think the same kinds of flowers that attract bees and hummingbirds would be the same ones to attract butterflies?
    You could easily attract butterflies and hummingbirds to your garden with the same plants. (I listed a few below.) The down side is that these sweet plants will attract bees, though.

Some of the colorful plants which attract butterflies include butterfly weed, coleus, butterfly blue pincushion, yarrow, sage, aster, coneflower, iris, coreopsis, phlox, goldenrod, heliotrope, alyssum and zinnia. Also fennel, Mona lavender, black and blue salvia guarantica and fan flower. Butterflies also like butterfly bushes, sunflowers, potentilla bushes and bluebird shrubs. They also like vines which include Persian carpet zinnia, petunia, coleus, Spanish flag and vinca.

To attract hummingbirds to your garden, plant honeysuckle, trumpet vine, columbine, butterfly weed, bee balm, hollyhock, hibiscus, clematis, impatiens, phlox, fuchsias, spotted jewelweed, cardinal flower, Turk’s Cap Lily, Wild Bergamot, lupine, phlox and penstemon. They even hover over my red artificial flowers in the woods!

Hummingbirds are also attracted to pentas butterfly red and they can’t resist salvias. They cannot smell and depend on their eyesight to seek out flowers and food sources, especially those with red cone shapes. Inexpensive hummingbird feeders are readily available and will attract the busy little birds so that you can easily enjoy watching them hover and sip the sugar water.
    Hummers must feed every 10 to 15 minutes throughout the day, consuming up to 2/3 their body weight in food.

Rose White, author of Easy Gardens Volume 13 -
    Bird Sanctuary Plus Butterfly and Hummingbird Gardens
    Last edited by Rose White; 02-18-2010 at 08:50 AM.

Default Zinnias!

When it comes to attracting butterflies, it is hard to beat the Zinnia. These happy flowers are easy to grow and will bloom all summer long. They also attract several different kinds of butterflies!

Gina loves to garden, and to write about gardens!
    [URL="http://my-butterfly-garden.com/36/flowers-that-attract-butterflies/"]Flowers That Attract Butterflies[/URL]

I think I found a site made especially for you, Angelic. ^_^

Here's an associated content article quite literally about what you're looking for:
    http://www.associatedcontent.com/art...tterflies.html

Another thing you MAY want to try (and don't hold me to this), are liquid vitamin supplements. I have a friend who swears by dropping a little bit into the soil to enrich the flowers. . . which I'm guessing may have an effect on how the butterflies sense them. I think she used silver water (I provided a link to the site) and a few other supplements.

Hope this helps!
    Things are beautiful if you love them.
    - Jean Anouilh

I never knew that there were actual plants or flowers that specifically attracted butterflies. I think that it would be great to have a butterfly garden.
    [URL=http://www.bestrestaurantleeds.co.uk/] Restaurant Leeds [/URL]

Bee balm....works great for me.

Default Hedging Plants

Hedges. Undoubtedly, hedging plants are the best ways to attract wildlife including butterflies in your garden. There are many hedges which would definitely attract wildlife. Go for Schip Laurel (Cherry laurel), English laurel. Such hedges produces creamy white flowers which are ultimate reason for the wildlife.