Thread: Mulch

Hybrid View

Default Mulch

What is the best mulch most people use to aid in reducing weeds and various plant diseases in your garden?

I use a weed supressant layer of either cardboard or cotton fabric, and then top it with an organic layer made of bracken, straw or similar to improve the look of it.

I used plastic around the base of my trees covered with redwood. There is about a 3 Inch Circle around the base of the tree of dirt and then plastic for about what out from the base. That is what I use for the trees. For everything else I use a layer of newspaper covered with a red mulch I bought at Lowe's.
    Start-Up Phase, resources to help your new business grow!
    [url]http://www.startupphase.com/forums/index.php[/url]

I think what Green Moo says about using cardboard is probably your best bet also it is easy to get your hands on and cheap. It is easily recycled and therefore I would say cardboard.

I also agree with mickie. There is no reason to be so drastic about everything.

I always use plastic. But I am going to try using the cardboard. I think I would like it better.

Banned

Default bracken as mulch

Quote Originally Posted by Roguegal View Post
    I used plastic around the base of my trees covered with redwood. There is about a 3 Inch Circle around the base of the tree of dirt and then plastic for about what out from the base. That is what I use for the trees. For everything else I use a layer of newspaper covered with a red mulch I bought at Lowe's.
    I looked up 'bracken' and it said it is poisonous to livestock, so beware of where you use it as it may hurt pets, etc.

Rose White, author
    "Easy Gardens A to Z"