Thread: Which Type of Perennial...?

Question Which Type of Perennial...?

There are over 2000 different types of perennials available. Does anyone know which type of perennial is best to plant near trees? I wanted to do a landscape design with colorful flowers around an old tree in the backyard. Is there a specific type of perennial more adapt for a shaded area?

Hosta grows great in the shade.

I prefer orchids, hibiscus and lilies. I'm not sure of the ones that grow in shade.

I also plant hosta. I've also heard bleeding hearts do well in the shade.

My Manhattan garden is 50' x 15' between my building and a high ivy covered wall. The half against the building gets intense sun almost all day; along the wall, deep shade except about an hour of early morning sun. Through much trial and error, perrenials that have done well along the wall are:
    hosta, celedine poppy (Diphilium), begonia, jacobs ladder, bleeding heart, tradescandia, and black mongo grass. Vinca (periwinkle) and ajuga for ground cover.

Banned

Default shade-loving flowers

Quote Originally Posted by angelicwriter View Post
    There are over 2000 different types of perennials available. Does anyone know which type of perennial is best to plant near trees? I wanted to do a landscape design with colorful flowers around an old tree in the backyard. Is there a specific type of perennial more adapt for a shaded area?
    Impatiens and primrose would look good in the front of the flowers as most varieties do not grow too tall in the shade. Lily of the valley, viola, pansy, bleeding heart, hen and chicks, forget-me-not, daylillies and begonias are a few more plants which bloom in the shade.

Also consider some short varieties of evergreen plants for year-around foliage in gold, lime green or red. If you plant too close to a tree, the plants may not do well. Test them to see what works well for you.

Rose White, author of
    Easy Gardens A to Z

Smile

Depending on your soil conditions, you could try some of these: Hyacinths, foxglove, cardinal flower, Lenten rose, bleeding heart, beebalm, columbine flower.

Also See Rose White's post above.

Hope this helps! Once your shade garden takes off, be sure to share some pics here on the forum.
    Last edited by nofeargardener; 06-14-2011 at 07:44 PM.