Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Garden Maintenance

Yes you have to keep on top of a garden or it becomes over grown. Some flowers and plants require different levels of care, but they still require looking after and if there isn't any rain then you will need to water them. Roses will need to be cut back and the dead leaves taken off. There are other things you will have to do and you may need to feed them and treat them if they have any insects on them or diseases or anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Serenity View Post
    I don't know anything about the no-till method but we till ours every year after planting season to rough it up. We like it to be ready for any nitrogen rich snow that might fall in winter. Then we do it again just before the growing season.
    For years my grandparents always re-tilled theirs with great success.

Quote Originally Posted by justontime View Post
    Confession time, I have lived at my house for 17 years and I haven't done any of those things except pruning (once in a while) and spraying for blackspot, but my roses look fantastic.
    I do the same as you, I let my roses do their own thing and it's amazing how fast and big they grow. I weed around the base of them and in the fall clip off the dead branches. So far, so good.

Banned

Default tilling a garden in the fall

I turn over my vegetable garden soil in the fall to add new organic growth to the soil and some more peat moss. Then, in the spring it is soft as butter to dig in for new plantings. My roses, bulbs and perennials I leave alone, though. I am definitely into no-maintenance and low-maintenance gardening!

Rose White, author
    "Easy Gardens A to Z"