Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: plants and shrubs goats will not eat

Question plants and shrubs goats will not eat

I know this sounds crazy....but is there anything these animals will not eat?
    I would so like to have a flower garden or some flowering shrubs, but I have two roaming goats as pets.

As far as I know goats will eat absolutely anything and they will climb to get it if they have to. Could you fence off a section of the garden and keep it goat free? I think I could do with a goat in my garden at the moment, everything is growing far too fast!

Sorry wisewoman, I think goats will eat anything and everything! Perhaps something with long spines? Though I'm not sure that even that would be safe!

Default goat proof plants

I have seen goats attempt to eat tin cans. That being said, someone I know says there are a few plants that don't interest them much. That means they may still take a nibble out of curiosity, but they won't devour them. Mullein seems to be one, though I would check for the toxicity level of this plant (for goats).

Even I know that goats generally eat anything, here in India it seems very tough to take care of the garden if the gate is open for the fence. Any plant that droupes down the fence or is easily reachable over fence it isn't going to survive.

Default Goats

I have a goat also. A friend said she had a pygmy which wouldn't eat Putunas. I thought I would give it a try with a few plants.

It might be worth trying marigolds, wisewoman. I know they're not the prettiest of flowers but they're cheap so at least if they got eaten you'd not feel so bad! If I remember right both deer and rabbits don't like them because of their not too pleasant smell. Might be worth a shot anyway.

If you want a bare lawn without mowing, goats are definitely the way to go. But, then again at the price of gas, maybe a little goat mowing might be a solution instead of a problem.

Default poisonous

Be careful with poisonous plants. A friend of mine ate one and died. Oleander and castor bean are two that I know of.

Be careful of poisonous plants. A friend of mine's goat ate a poisonous plant and died. Oleander and castor bean are two that I know of.