Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Grass

Default Grass

This maybe a silly question, but I need to do something drastic with my lawn. Actually I can hardly call it a lawn, it has become just a patch of grass with weeds in it. It grows so fast that it easily gets out of control, is there a slower growing type of grass that I could use?

Zoysiagrass is a slow growing grass. It does need a lot of watering if I remember right. For some reason we don't have a lot of luck with growing grass.

Quote Originally Posted by tater03 View Post
    Zoysiagrass is a slow growing grass. It does need a lot of watering if I remember right. For some reason we don't have a lot of luck with growing grass.
    Thanks for the advice. Would I be able to buy the seeds from a garden centre or would I gave to send away to get them? Do you know if there is a brand name that I should look out for?

Have you checked with your local garden center to see what grasses are native to your area? Many of your native grasses don't need much grooming, or water.

I would thing that you could get it at most garden centers. I am not to sure of a brand though. Sorry.

Thanks for the information.Now I will groom my garden with Zoysiagrass as it
    will require less effort.

Ground cover might be a good alternative to grass. There are some that flower during the spring. Creeping Thyme is popular around garden paths, between stones, because they release a wonderful scent when stepped on.

If your yard isn't used for outdoor activities, a nice ground cover might be a good option.
    Last edited by SageMother; 05-13-2008 at 06:48 PM.

From what I understand, most people use Bermuda grass. It grows fast and only needs to be watered and mowed. Of course, you need to make sure you trim it around concrete. Because it will grow up through your concrete causing it to crack. In fact, I believe Bermuda grass is actually termed a weed, but don't quote me on that. It will also choked out any other plant, like weeds.
    Start-Up Phase, resources to help your new business grow!
    [url]http://www.startupphase.com/forums/index.php[/url]

Quote Originally Posted by Roguegal View Post
    From what I understand, most people use Bermuda grass. It grows fast and only needs to be watered and mowed. Of course, you need to make sure you trim it around concrete. Because it will grow up through your concrete causing it to crack. In fact, I believe Bermuda grass is actually termed a weed, but don't quote me on that. It will also choked out any other plant, like weeds.
    I want a slow growing grass, the grass I already have grows far too fast and it gets too tall for the mower if we have a wet spell.

That can be a problem with Bermuda grass. It is also hard to get rid of. I would love to have a lawn with this particular grass that I do not know the name of. It supposedly only grows 1 inch high and does not need to be mowed, just watered. I was told years ago about it and that the problem with growing it is that you have to restrict "all" activity on the planted area. If anything walked on it, no grass would grow in that spot. I have pets and it would cause a big problem. I would have small footprints everywhere with no grass.
    Start-Up Phase, resources to help your new business grow!
    [url]http://www.startupphase.com/forums/index.php[/url]