Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Climbing Plant for Shady Fence

Hybrid View

Default Climbing Plant for Shady Fence

Could anybody suggest a climbing plant to grow against a fence at the back of my garden, the area is shaded by several trees. I would like something fairly vigorous so that it covers the fence and if it has spikes or prickles that would be even better as it would deter intruders.

I personally preferred the one which has white flowers that smell really good. I am not sure of the name in english but in my mother tongue it is called Mallepuvvulu. It doesn't possess any spikes though, check out this site if possible to find some good plants: http://www.hintsandthings.co.uk/garden/climbers.htm
    http://www.gardens4you.co.uk/index.p...G5TFA&vmcchk=1

Honeysuckle would do really well there, but no spikes I'm afraid.

I'd love some wisteria on my own back fence, but it requires the sun.

How about a climbing rose? They'd have thorns and also provide a splash of color. You might need to attach a trellis to the fence but they'd be pretty as well as practical.

Thanks, I love roses, so a vigorous climbing rose would be ideal. It is quite a long fence so I may try several different things. I am going to the garden centre today, so I hope to get the garden looking better soon.

Quote Originally Posted by justontime View Post
    Thanks, I love roses, so a vigorous climbing rose would be ideal. It is quite a long fence so I may try several different things. I am going to the garden centre today, so I hope to get the garden looking better soon.
    You're welcome. I wasn't sure if that would be of any use when I thought about it later because I don't know of roses that are fast growing. That of course doesn't mean there aren't any, just that I'm not familiar with them if there are. I wondered if maybe they wouldn't be vigorous enough for what you're wanting. Do let me know if you find any because I have a nice spot myself I could put a climber in too.

Quote Originally Posted by Serenity View Post
    How about a climbing rose? They'd have thorns and also provide a splash of color. You might need to attach a trellis to the fence but they'd be pretty as well as practical.
    I would love to have a rose, we had white rose which climbs up the staircase in our home but needs regular cutting of the branches which would interrupt the path on stairs. But, it is a great plant to go for.

I have heard that they have come out with a rose without thorns. I have never investigated this so I am not positive of it. But it does not seem right to have a rose without the thorns. It just wouldn't seem like a rose.
    Start-Up Phase, resources to help your new business grow!
    [url]http://www.startupphase.com/forums/index.php[/url]

Quote Originally Posted by justontime View Post
    Could anybody suggest a climbing plant to grow against a fence at the back of my garden, the area is shaded by several trees. I would like something fairly vigorous so that it covers the fence and if it has spikes or prickles that would be even better as it would deter intruders.
    I just purchased two climbing Hydrangeas today for my shady back yard. They were both under $10.00.

You might do a little research to see if there is a grape vine that will tolerate shade in your hardiness zone. It is another option that has the added benefit of bering fruit withint a coupl eof years of initial planting.

Exclamation

Any time of ivy would be a great suggestion for this project, because it grows quickly and is easily maintained. There are also several different types of ivy to choose from such as ----- English or Boston, which are two of my favorites. There are others also, but they are great is maintained.