Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Compost

Thank you for your post msmeg. I had not thought about burying fish, although I know it has been done historically. I DO use fishmeal that I purchase at the store. I wonder how safe it is to bury whole fish? Obviously, you bil does it successfully. Is there anything else to this that needs to be understood before trying this?

Quote Originally Posted by msmeg View Post
    because it is two different end products.. one is worm castings.... they are used more like fertilizer not in as large amounts as you would use compost.

Two different kinds of worms also. I use red wigglers in my worm bin and in the compost pile earth worms live.

my bil used to bury the fish stuff all year from cleaning his fish about a ft deep in the garden area.. he would dig a trench and just fill with dirt as he went all winter...He could grow the best garden I ever saw.
    I wonder if that would work in my back yard for my grass? Of course I have very little grass in the backyard. My problem with my yard is that I am living on top of a dump. As you all know, every piece of garbage goes into dumps.
    Start-Up Phase, resources to help your new business grow!
    [url]http://www.startupphase.com/forums/index.php[/url]

I do remember in the spring his garden attracted some cats if he had not put them deep enough ... and it was a bit smelly the first few warm days. but maybe that was him??????

Ha Ha msmeg. What a riot. I'm telling him you said that.

Seriously though, thanks for the response. I didn't know if this would attract cats or not. Now, I know.

Now, now, don't be a tattletale! The guys garden may stink, but I bet he grows good vegetables. As for the fish, as long as you put it deep enough in the soil it should not attract cats. If you want to attract cats, plant some catnip!

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    Heat normally helps compost, but vermiculture may be a different issue. Personally, I'm of the opinion to let the worms live in the garden. I don't see how vermicomposting is better than just encouraging worms to live in your soil and composting normally.

Worm bins are a far quicker method of breaking down organic waste than plain composting, so you can break down more waste in the same space.

Your worms will multipy in the bin, so you can also scoop them out & pop onto areas of the garden that could do with a little soil improvement.

Quote Originally Posted by mom2manyboyz View Post
    I actually read this before I started doing it. I was reading about large scale organic farms that didn't have time to compost saving up organic scraps and dumping them back on the fields. I'm always looking for short-cuts, so it sounded like a good plan. I bury them because I don't want to upset the neighbors.

If you dig trenches in winter and put all your kitchen waste into them, they'll make excellent spot to plant your beans come spring.

You could try just spreading your organic material inbetween the plants on top of the soil. It will eventually be dragged down into the soil by worms etc where it will break down. If you want to give it a fancy name you can call it sheet composting It works better in cooler climates as if it gets too hot then the organic matter just dessicates rather than decomposes.

Quote Originally Posted by Green-Moo View Post
    If you dig trenches in winter and put all your kitchen waste into them, they'll make excellent spot to plant your beans come spring.

You could try just spreading your organic material inbetween the plants on top of the soil. It will eventually be dragged down into the soil by worms etc where it will break down. If you want to give it a fancy name you can call it sheet composting It works better in cooler climates as if it gets too hot then the organic matter just dessicates rather than decomposes.
    Green-Moo:

How did you learn so much about organic gardening? Your ideas are shear genius. I had never thought about digging troughs for the kitchen scraps and placing the beans there. I'm sure it will make them very happy and I am going to try this next winter! I also didn't know it was called "sheet composting," to place the organic waste on top.

Thanks and any other time saving organic gardening tips that you have... throw them my way.
    [URL="http://www.ehow.com/how_2262067_choose-organic-produce.html"][COLOR="Teal"]How to Choose Organic Produce[/COLOR][/URL]

[URL="http://www.ehow.com/how_2281675_treat-allergies-naturally.html"][COLOR="Teal"]How to Treat Allergies Naturally[/COLOR][/URL]

Where would we be without Green-Moo? Probably searching the Internet for hours on end. :-) At least we know someone who knows something! :-)

Banned

Default garbage dumps

Quote Originally Posted by Roguegal View Post
    I wonder if that would work in my back yard for my grass? Of course I have very little grass in the backyard. My problem with my yard is that I am living on top of a dump. As you all know, every piece of garbage goes into dumps.
    Garbage dumps can be a problem, so if you plant things to eat, be sure to use raised beds or container gardening.

Rose White, author
    "Easy Gardens A to Z"