Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Compost

Hybrid View

Default Compost

Do you have a compost pile? Have you found that it has significantly reduced the amount of trash you're sending to the landfill every week?

Yes, it reduces my trash and it is great for my garden!

My garden is organic. I save every scrap of organic fruit and veggie that leaves my kitchen. I don't have a compost bin set up. I save it up and bury it in my garden when I have time. In the warm months that works well. In the winter I have a barrel of dirt near the back door that I bury the scraps in. There are worms in it so, I guess it is sort of a compost bin.

Has anyone seen the "worm factories" advertised? I've been thinking about getting one.

I would love to have one of those tumblers to make compost. But, unfortunately, I cannot afford it. A friend is going to make me one out of a 50 gallon drum. Hopefully it will do the same thing.
    Start-Up Phase, resources to help your new business grow!
    [url]http://www.startupphase.com/forums/index.php[/url]

Sure, try youtube, I watched a video on making one there once.

I have a compost heap for rough garden waste and overspill, and two worm bins for household waste.

No organic or food waste goes in my rubbish bin.

Quote Originally Posted by mom2manyboyz View Post
    Yes, it reduces my trash and it is great for my garden!

My garden is organic. I save every scrap of organic fruit and veggie that leaves my kitchen. I don't have a compost bin set up. I save it up and bury it in my garden when I have time. In the warm months that works well. In the winter I have a barrel of dirt near the back door that I bury the scraps in. There are worms in it so, I guess it is sort of a compost bin.

Has anyone seen the "worm factories" advertised? I've been thinking about getting one.
    That is an excellent idea. I hadn't considered just burying the scraps in the garden rather than setting aside a specific place for compost. Thanks for the tip!

Quote Originally Posted by mamabear05 View Post
    That is an excellent idea. I hadn't considered just burying the scraps in the garden rather than setting aside a specific place for compost. Thanks for the tip!
    I actually read this before I started doing it. I was reading about large scale organic farms that didn't have time to compost saving up organic scraps and dumping them back on the fields. I'm always looking for short-cuts, so it sounded like a good plan. I bury them because I don't want to upset the neighbors.

Quote Originally Posted by mom2manyboyz View Post
    I actually read this before I started doing it. I was reading about large scale organic farms that didn't have time to compost saving up organic scraps and dumping them back on the fields. I'm always looking for short-cuts, so it sounded like a good plan. I bury them because I don't want to upset the neighbors.

If you dig trenches in winter and put all your kitchen waste into them, they'll make excellent spot to plant your beans come spring.

You could try just spreading your organic material inbetween the plants on top of the soil. It will eventually be dragged down into the soil by worms etc where it will break down. If you want to give it a fancy name you can call it sheet composting It works better in cooler climates as if it gets too hot then the organic matter just dessicates rather than decomposes.

Quote Originally Posted by Green-Moo View Post
    If you dig trenches in winter and put all your kitchen waste into them, they'll make excellent spot to plant your beans come spring.

You could try just spreading your organic material inbetween the plants on top of the soil. It will eventually be dragged down into the soil by worms etc where it will break down. If you want to give it a fancy name you can call it sheet composting It works better in cooler climates as if it gets too hot then the organic matter just dessicates rather than decomposes.
    Green-Moo:

How did you learn so much about organic gardening? Your ideas are shear genius. I had never thought about digging troughs for the kitchen scraps and placing the beans there. I'm sure it will make them very happy and I am going to try this next winter! I also didn't know it was called "sheet composting," to place the organic waste on top.

Thanks and any other time saving organic gardening tips that you have... throw them my way.
    [URL="http://www.ehow.com/how_2262067_choose-organic-produce.html"][COLOR="Teal"]How to Choose Organic Produce[/COLOR][/URL]

[URL="http://www.ehow.com/how_2281675_treat-allergies-naturally.html"][COLOR="Teal"]How to Treat Allergies Naturally[/COLOR][/URL]