Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Compost

Default Compost

Do you have a compost pile? Have you found that it has significantly reduced the amount of trash you're sending to the landfill every week?

Yes, it reduces my trash and it is great for my garden!

My garden is organic. I save every scrap of organic fruit and veggie that leaves my kitchen. I don't have a compost bin set up. I save it up and bury it in my garden when I have time. In the warm months that works well. In the winter I have a barrel of dirt near the back door that I bury the scraps in. There are worms in it so, I guess it is sort of a compost bin.

Has anyone seen the "worm factories" advertised? I've been thinking about getting one.

I would love to have one of those tumblers to make compost. But, unfortunately, I cannot afford it. A friend is going to make me one out of a 50 gallon drum. Hopefully it will do the same thing.
    Start-Up Phase, resources to help your new business grow!
    [url]http://www.startupphase.com/forums/index.php[/url]

Sure, try youtube, I watched a video on making one there once.

I have a compost heap for rough garden waste and overspill, and two worm bins for household waste.

No organic or food waste goes in my rubbish bin.

We have a compost pile but most of my food scraps go into a worm composter in the garage... I so want a tumbler we made one from a barrel but it does not work as fast as the big tumblers. I think our problem is we do not bag grass... I need to find a neighbor to give us their grass to speed up the compost.

Meg: I agree. I have the barrel, but want the big tumbler. I haven't forked out the money yet, but SO want one. How does your worm composter work? Does it make "worm tea?" I've looked at those for the garage, but haven't wanted to spend the money on that either.

Quote Originally Posted by msmeg View Post
    We have a compost pile but most of my food scraps go into a worm composter in the garage... I so want a tumbler we made one from a barrel but it does not work as fast as the big tumblers. I think our problem is we do not bag grass... I need to find a neighbor to give us their grass to speed up the compost.

I've been thinking about doing a worm bin myself. But I've don't have a garage and it would have to sit outside. I would like to use the "worm tea" for my plants. Does anybody know if I would be able to have one in Phoenix sitting outside?
    Start-Up Phase, resources to help your new business grow!
    [url]http://www.startupphase.com/forums/index.php[/url]

I don't know about the laws in Phoenix, but I do know that worm tea smells bad. I bought some online to use and had it in my kitchen cupboard. After a month or so, I had to take it outside. It is a horrid smell. I assume that the same odor would come from homemade "worm tea." Once I had it outside, I didn't notice the smell.