Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Roses

Default Roses

I love roses but have never tried to grow them and have heard that they are difficult. Does anyone have any tips?

Well what my mom said was to cut the stem of the rose plant in a slant manner in order for it to grow that too if we borrow from someone else the stem. It does grow well if planted in this way.

Roses are not difficult at all. I love roses. Just be careful of the thorns. When you are planting your roses get some bone meal and place it in the bottom of the hole and then put your plant in with good soil. Also get some vitamin B12 for plants, this will alleviate any transplant shock and give the row is a good chance to grow.

As for pruning your roses, only cut below a branching stem of 5 leaves. This is usually where a new bud will begin. If you are letting the flowers grow and die on the stem, you need to snip or pinch the bulb off right at the base of the flower.

If you are cutting your roses and putting them in vases, perimeter the leaves off that will be in the base, cut the bottom of the stem a 45 degree angle and place them in a glass of hot water for a few minutes. This will stimulate the fluids with in the stem to continue flowing. Then place in your vase with a mixture of water and a teaspoon of sugar. This will make your cut roses last longer.

Hope this helps. :-)
    Start-Up Phase, resources to help your new business grow!
    [url]http://www.startupphase.com/forums/index.php[/url]

I don't think roses are especially hard to grow, I don't have too much problem with mine. I like climbing roses best of all, when you are buying your plants make sure you know what the ones you choose will look like, roses come in all shapes and sizes so you need to be clear about what will suit your garden best

My brother bought my mother some miniature roses years ago. Those are roses that are not more than an inch in diameter when in bloom. She was living in a house at that time here in Arizona. When she sold the house she did not want to leave her roses. She dug them up and took them to my grandmother in California, near Santa Rosa area. The next year she went to visit my grandmother and the roses were about 3 inches in diameter in bloom. This just goes to show you that roses can floragish if they're taken care of.

Thanks for the tips, everyone!

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by mamabear05 View Post
    Thanks for the tips, everyone!
    You are quite welcome. Just let us know how your roses do. When they bloom, if you can upload a picture. I just love roses. I even learned how to make my own rose seeds. It's not an easy trick either.

Roses are my favorite.Frankly speaking I tried to grow them but did not succeed.
    Well my unty has a big garden where there are different types of roses.So every
    morning I take a long walk in the garden to enjoy the beauty of it.

I love roses but have yet to plant any since we moved here. I will have to use some of these tips. There were some great ones on here.

If you really want your own Rose Garden your best bet is to read up on the care and feeding of roses. They really are not that hard to grow. You just need to plant them correctly with the right soil mixture. They now have Rose "plant food" to make it even easier to grow them.