Thread: Mulch Alert

Default Mulch Alert

Did anyone happen to hear about this. A friend of mine was telling me today that there is some kind of alert on mulch because there is termites in it? I have not seen this anywhere.

Termites in mulch isn't exactly something to be alarmed over. Most areas of the country if you put wood on the ground, come back to it awhile later, you'll find termites or another wood eating insect has taken up residence. The circle of life and all that.

Sometimes there are problems with invasive foreign species like the Emerald Ash Borer and they worry about it being transported in mulch or firewood.

The propensity of wood mulch to attract termites is why it is not recommended (often) around the base of wood frame buildings. (USe stone for beds that go right up against your foundtation)

Would termites on mulch would cause any affect to the plants on the whole? I didn't hear about the news of termites though.

Mulch is damp and dark, a perfect environment for bugs and beasties! If you don't like the idea of having termites about, try a different sort of mulch. Virtually any organic material will work as a mulch. Straw, grass clippings, bracken .....

I did find out more in that it is the mulch that is being shipped from all the trees that were down from the flooding of Hurricane Katrina and that it attracted an overabundance of termites.

Quote Originally Posted by tater03 View Post
    Did anyone happen to hear about this. A friend of mine was telling me today that there is some kind of alert on mulch because there is termites in it? I have not seen this anywhere.
    I can't seem to get it to copy but go to snopes .com and search for mulch /termites... the email is false.

Quote Originally Posted by msmeg View Post
    I can't seem to get it to copy but go to snopes .com and search for mulch /termites... the email is false.
    Here's the link from snopes:

http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/household/termites.asp

Thanks for the link. I totally forget about checking that site. I am glad to hear that it wasn't true. Thanks again.