Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hostas

Yeah, they are wonderful for using as a border. I have them and monkey grass alternating along my driveway and it looks really cute.

My goodness do they grow fast. The ones we just planted are really full already. I have a question the flowers that sprout out of the top are you suppoused to cut them?

Banned

Default many hosta varieties

Quote Originally Posted by SageMother View Post
    Can Hostas be grown from seeds?

I have seen the plants but thought getting some seeds might stretch my "botanical's budget". Does anyone know?
    Hostas are my very favorite plant - lots and lots of plants and blooms and variegated leaves from spring through fall. And they keep growing and spreading all by themselves! If a neighbor shares a little with you, it will spread in no time and you can easily divide it without hurting the plant. Each division should have 4 or 5 leaves, but I found transplanting larger plants makes them look nicer the first year. Don't worry if they are droopy; next spring they will bounce back.

My favorite ones aphrodite hosta, or August lily, which has leaves which reach up instead of spreading wide and white blooms which smell sweeter than honeysuckle! I plant them by the steps to my deck to enjoy often.

My long driveway in the woods is lined with hostas with short green and white leaves which look like shining lights. They are beautiful and in most cases free because people who own them feel overrun by them at times and will gladly share with you.

Rose White, author
    "Easy Gardens A to Z"