Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any ideas for a shady bare patch?

Default Any ideas for a shady bare patch?

I have one spot right outside my front window that's about eight feet square.

There's a small bed only about eight inches wide right under the window that I planted petunias in this morning. I love them! Cheap and cheerful and spread great. This bare patch is right in front of it next to the drive. It's perfectly flat and is well...dust. That's about it. It's baldy, not even weeds grow on it.

When it rains, the water flows down the hill and gushes off the side of our sloping drive onto this bit of ground. Any seeds wouldn't have a chance to root before getting washed away. This is why I think it's bare in the first place, combined with the shade of surrounding trees.

I'd really like to do something with it but what? I can't afford to spend a fortune and am tempted just to put turf down on it but I'd like to be a bit more creative than that if possible. Any ideas? I'm in zone 7.

Hi Serenity, what about some sort of rock garden? You could place the rocks any way you wanted them and then grow the appropriate types of plants, mosses, etc. that would work in a rock garden type of setting. Good luck

Hostas are supposed to be excellent in shady areas. If you created a terraced rock garden they would look nice!

This may be a nice spot to create a herb spiral. You can find some great designs to copy on the net & plant it up with herbs that you use in the kitchen. Can you create a channel to draw rainwater away from the bed whilst it establishes? Perhaps put down paving tiles or gravel for drainage, then put your spiral, or even just some pots, on top of it.

Quote Originally Posted by justjoy View Post
    Hi Serenity, what about some sort of rock garden? You could place the rocks any way you wanted them and then grow the appropriate types of plants, mosses, etc. that would work in a rock garden type of setting. Good luck
    Thanks for the suggestion, justjoy. I don't know, rock gardens have never held much of an appeal for me, I'm afraid. It could be that I just haven't seen any that sufficiently grabbed my attention, in fairness. I'll keep the idea in mind though, thank you.

Hostas are supposed to be excellent in shady areas. If you created a terraced rock garden they would look nice!
    SageMother, I've heard that, yes, but it had slipped my mind. I need to look into them more because my only experience of them were plain green ones that I didn't like which a family member had but I believe they come in a far wider range of colors. Thanks for the reminder.

Quote Originally Posted by Green-Moo View Post
    This may be a nice spot to create a herb spiral. You can find some great designs to copy on the net & plant it up with herbs that you use in the kitchen. Can you create a channel to draw rainwater away from the bed whilst it establishes? Perhaps put down paving tiles or gravel for drainage, then put your spiral, or even just some pots, on top of it.
    Green-Moo, that sounds interesting! I've never seen a herb spiral. Yes, I could create a channel ok I think...it's just the amount of water that pours off that edge is from the whole hill might be too much for it. I'd need to figure out how deep it would need to be. I love the gravel idea with pots on top of it. I'll investigate herb spirals more, thanks very much for that idea!

Any suggestions on herbs suited to shade? It does get a bit of sun in the morning, maybe a couple of hours but once the trees fill in more that might not be the case.

Quote Originally Posted by Serenity View Post

Any suggestions on herbs suited to shade? It does get a bit of sun in the morning, maybe a couple of hours but once the trees fill in more that might not be the case.

Mint, bee balm, parsley, thyme and chives all do well in shade. I've heard that sage & oregano will also do OK.

most herbs require full sun, not a good idea for shade.

Thanks for the herbs tips, Green-Moo and Chris! I think perhaps what I'll do is prepare the area with the gravel etc and just put in a few container flowers just now that are suited to shade until the trees are in full bloom. Then I'll have a better idea what the conditions will be for most of the growing season.

I would suggest a small holly bush or even shome kana. These grow great in shaded area.