Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Growing Peppers Indoors

Default Growing Peppers Indoors

A friend has given me a potted pepper plant and while he says it can tolerate direct sun, it's not. I know the obvious answer is to move it to a less sunny location and I've done that, but it's still not doing well. It's tending to wilt easily and drop it's leaves. Any ideas?

I've only ever grown peppers outdoors, but I know that they can tolerate direct sun as mine thrive. If it's wilting easily it does sound as if it's not getting enough water. Would a larger pot help?

You know I've never heard of that either. I grow pepper plants in my garden every summer and they thrive on direct sun light. They are one of the few plants that tolerate the HOT HOT summer well.

What type of pepper is it? I bigger pot is a good place to start. You could also try fertilizing the soil. I don't use synthetic fertilizers, there are plenty of organic and non-organic fertilizers available.

Thanks for the suggestions and I agree - The plant should be able to tolerate the direct sunlight and I'm making sure it's got enough water. I think I'll try the bigger pot for starters. I believe the plant is one of those medium hot pepper plants but grows several different color peppers.

That sounds like a good plan. If the leaves are wilting and paling yellow, you may want to add fish meal to the soil when you transplant to a new pot. It is high in nitrogen and phosphorus. Also, seaweed is good for potassium and other trace elements. A fresh pot of dirt may help the plant get what it needs.

I have never tried growing them inside but I agree that a bigger pot might help a lot. Peppers do seem to do well in direct sunlight so don't think that is the problem.

I've never tried growing them indoors either, but the friend who gave me the plant has had success with them. I've repotted with fresh soil as of yesterday and won't put it back in the direct sunlight for a day or two. Fingers crossed, my poor pepper plant will perk up.

Let us know how it goes. Did you put any fertilizer in the soil by chance? Hope it perks up for you soon. Cannot hurt to try.

I've only ever grown bell peppers and they've always lasted right throughout summer in direct sunlight and right up until the first frost, but never inside. Could it be that you're overwatering it with it being indoors now? Some plants get real unhappy with too much the way others do with too little. If it's only been moved in the last few days, it might just be getting acclimatized to the new surroundings.

All the suggestions so far are very good.

I just grow them in mild sunlight and I am not sure if direct sunlight would affect the plants. Most of the plantation of mine is in mild sunlight and sufficient amount of water.