Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Suckers on tomato plants

Sage:

Do you just put them in the ground? I know this was mentioned earlier and I think it would work, but I'm not sure if there is a better method. Sprouting in water first? I'm off to read up on propogation of tomatoe plants. I'll post what I come up with.

I once had a tomato plant ravished by tomato worms, nothing but stems were left, I cut some of the stems off and put them in water and they rooted and grew more leaves, rather quickly too. It seems like they rooted quicker in water, has anyone else done this before?

I pick suckers off until about 12 inches off the ground also all leaves... it helps prevent blight for me. after that I leave the suckers.. yes my fruit may be smaller but I like lots of tomatoes and I get lots from each plant..... Now the plants do get heavy but I use 5 ft high cages and also tie part of the plant to the cage.

I thought you go bigger and less tomatoes by pruning to a single stem.

As far as starting plants from suckers... I have done it and it works.. I just stick it in the ground and keep it watered and shaded until it roots..it will wilt for a few days and then perks right up... it is handy do have some going when You know you may lose some from blight each year.

No but thanks for sharing this. I was wanting to learn about tomato plant propagation. Now I won't have to search for it. This sounds so easy!

Quote Originally Posted by msmeg View Post
    I pick suckers off until about 12 inches off the ground also all leaves... it helps prevent blight for me. after that I leave the suckers.. yes my fruit may be smaller but I like lots of tomatoes and I get lots from each plant..... Now the plants do get heavy but I use 5 ft high cages and also tie part of the plant to the cage.

As far as starting plants from suckers... I have done it and it works.. I just stick it in the ground and keep it watered and shaded until it roots..it will wilt for a few days and then perks right up... it is handy do have some going when You know you may lose some from blight each year.

Quote Originally Posted by msmeg View Post

Thanks msmeg, that's very useful to know! I've grown them tall enough to need a stepladder to pick the fruit and had one plant break with the weight of them despite being staked and tied up. Removing the suckers didn't seem to inhibit the growth of fruit at all.

I'll definitely give it a try once I grow one big enough, thanks again for the information.

I know what you mean. My tomatoes are always outgrowing their cages by the end of the season. I'm always reading of new ways to support the plant hoping to come up with a better way to do it. I haven't measured my cages, but I'd guess them to be 5 feet as they are almost as tall as me. I always use panty hose to tie the plant because I've read that they panty hose won't cut into the plant. The plants are still all over the place.

Like a lot of people here I was always taught to clip them off. So that it is what I do, and it seems to work.

If you leave suckers on the tomato plant then they will grow fruit just like the ordinary stem. The higher up a sucker is on a plant the weaker it tends to be. If the stems are just below the flower cluster they will compromise the strength of the main stem. Therefore you should remove all suckers just below the flower cluster and you can leave the other suckers if you want.

Exclamation

Clip the sucker off at its base. It is as simple as that.

sounds like a good experiment in the garden 2 plants leave the suckers. 2 plants remove all suckers and 2 remove all suckers belowr the flower cluster.. Then report back In Sept. most tomatoes, largest tomatoes. strongest plants....