Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: tulips

New Users

I know how you feel. A couple of years ago I worked very hard to plant about 250 tulip bulbs and not nearly that many came up. Being very curious, I went over to a spot where NONE had come up and dug around. The bulbs were gone. I thought that maybe voles had gotten them so I never planted in that area again. Now I live at a different location and last fall I planted 50 red tulip bulbs. It looks like just about all of them are up and blooming, but when I came home from work this afternoon I noticed a barespot where it looks like someone snapped off about three blooms and took home a little bouquet. They must have looked irresistably pretty!

Default tulip disappearance

Rodents may be the culprit; I have found using medicated foot powder before planting is helpful. Put bulbs and foot powder in a bowl and mix. Putting a fine wire mesh over the top helps too. G'Luck!

Banned

Default tulips get eaten

Quote Originally Posted by Donna View Post
    I know how you feel. A couple of years ago I worked very hard to plant about 250 tulip bulbs and not nearly that many came up. Being very curious, I went over to a spot where NONE had come up and dug around. The bulbs were gone. I thought that maybe voles had gotten them so I never planted in that area again. Now I live at a different location and last fall I planted 50 red tulip bulbs. It looks like just about all of them are up and blooming, but when I came home from work this afternoon I noticed a barespot where it looks like someone snapped off about three blooms and took home a little bouquet. They must have looked irresistably pretty!
    I have had the same problem with squirrels eating my tulip bulbs, but I still buy cheap ones every year and replant them because they are so beautiful.

There does not seem to be much to do about flower lovers who come along and pick your blooms, though.

Rose White, author of
    Easy Gardens A to Z

Banned

Default gorgeous daffodils

Quote Originally Posted by mamabear05 View Post
    Is this why I can't get rid of my daffodils? I hate them and have dug them up repeatedly, but they just won't go away! The last few years, I've just given up, and so of course I have many more now. Bleh.
    Too bad I don't live near you! I buy as many daffodils as I can afford. Be sure to invite your friends and neighbors to come and dig them up for their own gardens - they will love you.

Rose White, author of
    Easy Gardens A to Z

The tulip is a perennial, bulbous plant with showy flowers in the genus Tulipa, which comprises 109 species and belongs to the family Liliaceae.
    Imagination is more important than Knowledge - Einstein

Smile Some Tulip Advice

Few things could be the problem....

• When you got your tulip bulbs, were they rock hard, or a little soft? Tulip bulbs should be rock hard when you get them. Many suppliers try to store their bulbs, and the results are usually not good. They may have been duds from the beginning (sorry).
    • When you buy tulip bulbs, make sure they came from a source in the Netherlands if possible. And you will get what you pay for. Try one of the many "Darwin Hybrids" - Orange Emperor, Yellow Emperor, Red emperor, Tang Dynasty, and Holland’s Tulip. They perform well and can give you great blooms for 2 to 3 years.
    • If you think squirrels may have taken the bulbs, you can try putting down chicken wire over the top of them before winter. Then, in the spring when they first start to emerge, remove the chicken wire. You can also try putting down some cayenne pepper as a deterrent.
    • And be careful about too much water. Excess water, can cause tulip bulbs to rot in the ground. Make sure your soil is very well-drained.

Hope this helps!!! Hang in there!!!
    Last edited by nofeargardener; 06-14-2011 at 07:42 PM.

The tulip is a perennial, bulbous plant with showy flowers in the genus Tulipa, which comprises 109 species and belongs to the family Liliaceae.
    [URL=http://www.exhibeportable.com/trade-show-graphics.asp] Trade Show Graphics [/URL]

[URL=http://www.exhibe.com/exhibit-booth-design.htm] Exhibit Design [/URL]

I really love tulips as they are really beautiful.But oh I really feel so bad that all your tulips did not grow.Next time you plant tulips gather full information and then try .
    [URL=http://www.bestrestaurantleeds.co.uk/] Restaurant Leeds [/URL]

Best post
    I like this about tulip..this is some new and unique post,..

squirrels will devour your tulip bulbs