Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Growing Plants Out of a Wall

Default Growing Plants Out of a Wall

I want to grow some kind of covering plant out of a very tall, large retaining wall. The wall is a north facing wall in my backyard, however most of the sun it does get it blocked by my house during certain hours of the day. Every year I have to spray the wall with a weed killer and then pull out all the dead weeds that grow in the cracks. This works and lasts for about 6-8 months. As soon as spring starts to warm the temp, the weeds come back. The first year when I started the garden it was not so bad, but now the run off seems to harm the clematis vines that thrive on a trellis that leans against the wall. I want a seed or plant that will grow in the cracks of the stone wall, fend off the weeds and not do too much damage to the exterior and strength of the retaining wall. My neighbors yard has a very dark green, large leaf ivy growing but it seems to take over the entire wall. I'm a bit skeptical that it may damage the wall itself if I decide on an ivy. I'm attaching a few pictures of my backyard. Please help.
    Attached Images Attached Images

English ivy can damage walls, boston ivy does not. That is the typical option for shady walls you wish to cover and what I would recommend.

Default Boston Ivy

Can I start with seeds in the cracks of the walls or do I have to plant the ivy in a garden bed?

Thanks for you help

What I personally feel is that if you start with the seeds in the cracks of the garden then the walls may get damaged.

Default Same here

I thought the same thing, thanks

There are plants that can grow in basket of sphagnum moss. Attached to a wall, they would be stunning and might not cause damage. One of these types of plants might be a good alternative to vines.

Default Sphagnum Moss Baskets

I live in Philadelphia and I'm afraid anything in a basket will not have enough protection from the cold winter.

Chris:

I just wanted to thank you for this post. I am getting ready to buy some ivy this weekend to droop over a retaining wall on my berm home. Now, I know what type of ivy to buy.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    English ivy can damage walls, boston ivy does not. That is the typical option for shady walls you wish to cover and what I would recommend.

If you grow ivy in a bed at the base of the wall it is less likely to cause damage with it's roots.

Quote Originally Posted by jbelak View Post
    I live in Philadelphia and I'm afraid anything in a basket will not have enough protection from the cold winter.

Ouch, good point. What about pillars, that hold pots, next to the wall? They might add a little drama and you could install LED lights to create mood during the summer months.