Thread: Hawaiian Ti Plant

Default Hawaiian Ti Plant

Hello all:

I live in Canada and received two Hawaiian TI plant logs (one with green leaf and the other red) from my uncle who lives in Maui. The instructions were to place the logs horizontally in water until they sprout two inch roots at which time they are to be placed in soil with good drainage.

The green TI plant has already been placed in soil and is growing quite nicely and rapidly; however, the red is still in water and seems to be having a more difficult time sprouting roots although it has started to grow leaves.

I have two questions. First, is it normal that the red is a slower growing plant? Secondly, can I replace the red TI log in soil even though it really hasn't started roots as of yet?

Thank you!

I would scrape just a little bit of the bark off on the under side sitting in the water, place it back in the water and let soak for a few more days to see if you can get that root started. If still no luck try a little rooting hormone. You really want that 1 to start rooting I love mine. They line the whole front of my hose. We had a couple cold nights back in Jan. some of my leaves got burnt. But the new leafs just steadily keep rolling out. I have a few photos of mine blog link is in sig. if you would like to see them. I tried to upload a pic. but it said all my files were to large.
    Come and visit [url=http://anotherfortpierceyard.blogspot.com/]MY Yard in Fort Pierce FL[/url] and watch my plants grow.

Thank you for your reply and help.