Thread: Its getting to be that time of year

New Users

Default Its getting to be that time of year

I've just started thinking about what I'm going to plant this year.

The fennel worked out great last year, so did the basil and thyme. I only planted a small amount of oregano, rosemary and cilantro last year. I think I'm going to try more.

Peas, lettuce, summer squash, cukes, peppers and tomatoes are the things I grow the most of and use the most of. I'm going to up the pea quotient this year. Yum! I don't really like the crook necked yellow squash, so only straight necks this year. Cheyenne, yellow hungarian, jalapeno, green and red on the peppers. Early girl, brandywine, cherry, and a roma on the tomatoes. I have a new idea for tomato supports this year.

The kids loved the jack-o-lantern pumpkins last year. I'm going to do those again, and I think some pumpkin pie pumpkins.

I think I'm gonna pass on the beets, carrots and corn this year. I just can't fight the deer.

My turnips got worms. I looked up the cure and it was too involved for turnips, so none of those this year either.

I can grow eggplant like crazy, but I can't cook it in a way that makes me want to. Still sitting on the fence with that one.

Dare I try for melons?

What's (gonna be) in your garden?

I don't have nearly as much room as you. I'm going to do a lot of herbs this year, a lot of basil for making pesto. Then I'm planting some purple asparagus and some purple carrots (I like oddly colored veggies, it impresses people when you serve them). Then maybe some mesclun. Thats all.

I am expanding my fruit quotient though. I will have strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, apples, cherries, and pears.

New Users

The oddly colored veggies are good idea to increase the bang for the buck quotient.

Selkirk, it does sound like you have a big garden!

I finally made it out to till up the garden. I planted some lettuce and some peas. I still need to get the onions in the ground as it is getting a bit late to be starting. In a few weeks, I'll be adding tomatoes, zucchini, watermelon, pumpkins, peppers, cucumbers and beans. I have a little strawberry patch and some herbs growing along the house. I wanted to get some fruit trees planted this year also.

I'm not brand new to gardening, but I'm certainly not a pro. Mostly, I pretend to know what I'm doing as a gardener. I get lazy when it gets very HOT and I let the weeds take over.

Last year, my tomatoes and peppers did very well. For some reason, my pumpkins and cucumbers didn't do well. I'm new at growing beans, peas and zucchini, so we will see how that goes.