Thread: Gardening from an apartment...

Default Gardening from an apartment...

Hello,

Last August I moved away from my parents' home with money I earned as a web developer (see Chris' site, WebsitePublisher.net). I moved into a nice apartment in a converted mill near a river, it's beautiful in summer with a river going right past and a view to a Victorian tower on a hill, however I have a sudden feeling to do some gardening again this year, and of course I can't...

I'm not allowed any external window boxes or anything like that, and as I don't have a car I'm unable to drive to an allotment or anything similar, so I am stuck to what I can grow inside my flat at room temperate.

Can anyone think of any suggestions?

New Users

I've grown lettuce before in indoor window boxes. It wasn't worth it.

I'd go for high impact, low volume items. Maybe hot peppers or herbs.

No Balcony?

I would think peppers would require too much sun for the indoors.

I've got no balcony... The window sills (3 windows) (inside) I have are southward facing, and about 1 ft by 6ft. At least one of these I could box off and put compost in.

I'd enjoy growing vegetables, but I'd also like some flowers - do most grow indoors?

I've grown chilli peppers inside on a windowsill in the UK before. They add colour and are great for cooking with!

New Users

Quote Originally Posted by incka View Post
    I've got no balcony... The window sills (3 windows) (inside) I have are southward facing, and about 1 ft by 6ft. At least one of these I could box off and put compost in.

I'd enjoy growing vegetables, but I'd also like some flowers - do most grow indoors?
    african violets are indoor flowers. grow good in windows. also i have hanging plants indoors. all kinds of flowers will grow indoor.
    candygurl

I'm attempting to grow sunflowers, lavender, large daisies (forgot their name) and some mixed other plants, as well as carrots, peppers and courgettes. They are currently all growing in pasta glass jars that I've been saving (apart from the odd few in beer and wine bottles)

its hard to grow a sunflower in a container. One thing that has done very well in containers for me is cucumbers or other such squash, you just have to water them frequently (twice a day).

Banned

Default flowers which bloom indoors

Quote Originally Posted by incka View Post

I have had good luck with African violets as they bloom beautifully indoors in indirect sunlight. I add a little water every day to keep the soil moist and then pour off the excess which collects in the saucer underneath. The plants sit next to my sink so it is easy to remember to do this.

Also, begonias have bloomed well for me. Try other plants as you obtain them to see what works well in your environment.

Rose White, author of
    Easy Gardens A to Z