Thread: Anyone building a raised bed without using lumber?

Hybrid View

New Users

Default Anyone building a raised bed without using lumber?

Hi! I need to put in a coupe of raised beds in my garden, to overcome low spots. My problem is termites in the area, so I don't want to use wood. I'm thinking of using 18x6x2" concrete blocks. Has anyone else built raised beds with material other than wood?

look on Pintrest. I have used concrete blocks. Also consider corrugated steel.

I'd go with steel. Looks better and takes up less space.

Quote Originally Posted by eackley View Post
    Hi! I need to put in a coupe of raised beds in my garden, to overcome low spots. My problem is termites in the area, so I don't want to use wood. I'm thinking of using 18x6x2" concrete blocks. Has anyone else built raised beds with material other than wood?
    Yes - Our raised veggie beds were created using ROCKS!

It highlights organic fruit trees, organic vegetable circle garden, and backyard chickens!
    Check it out on Youtube (Grow Create Films)…and, enjoy!

https://youtu.be/GunJE0-9w98

New Users

I got tired of having wooden bed sides rot out, so I built frames using 4" x 4" posts every four feet, with a pressure treated 2 x 6 connecting the posts on the bottom, and a 2 x 4 on the top. I lined the insides of the frame with old roofing tin. So dirt no longer touches the wood, and the rotting out problem is solved. Cheap and easy!

Hi, Yes we have built numerous raised beds and retainers out of both concrete blocks and concrete sleepers. We recently built a raised garden bed using rustic 'timber look' concrete sleepers with galvanized H and C channel posts. Great where a durable option is required and termites are a problem. See examples here https://www.greenscenegardenscope.co...taining-walls/